BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I am looking into replacing my clutch soon, not too sure if I need it but the beast was born 11/99 and has about 47k miles on it so I guess it should be due a replacement soon.

I think I will be going for the Spec stage 3 clutch kit, light weight option I guess... why not I am thinking.

Questions are

1. Stage 4 maybe? I do not want to have a too over heavy clutch tho. What are the differences?

2. Should I get a flywheel? Is it something that needs replacing like a clutch? I heard it needs to be resurfaced or something to that effect.

3. How can you tell if a clutch needs replacing? Symptoms...

Only have had the beast a month or so, rouge ssk + wsr and tranny mounts installed so far. Kelleners or a custom back exhaust to be installed soon(have to decide).

Trying to get the beast as "solid" as possible again... I feel it is a great car but in areas it feels "soft". Shifter was one of them, brakes is another I will sort out soon(need to save up) and the suspension. Any more suggestions guys? Looking for the cheaper options to get out of the way first.

Thanks in advance. :byebye:

- Kin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Hi guys

I am looking into replacing my clutch soon, not too sure if I need it but the beast was born 11/99 and has about 47k miles on it so I guess it should be due a replacement soon.

I think I will be going for the Spec stage 3 clutch kit, light weight option I guess... why not I am thinking.

Questions are

1. Stage 4 maybe? I do not want to have a too over heavy clutch tho. What are the differences?

2. Should I get a flywheel? Is it something that needs replacing like a clutch? I heard it needs to be resurfaced or something to that effect.

3. How can you tell if a clutch needs replacing? Symptoms...

Only have had the beast a month or so, rouge ssk + wsr and tranny mounts installed so far. Kelleners or a custom back exhaust to be installed soon(have to decide).

Trying to get the beast as "solid" as possible again... I feel it is a great car but in areas it feels "soft". Shifter was one of them, brakes is another I will sort out soon(need to save up) and the suspension. Any more suggestions guys? Looking for the cheaper options to get out of the way first.

Thanks in advance. :byebye:

- Kin
Kin,

Why would you be considering a new clutch? You've owned the car for one short month and you have not mentioned slip. What if the clutch was changed 2 mo ago?

A lightweight flywheel combined with a small 9-5/8" stock-sized clutch will have very low inertia, which can produce objectionable noise.

A race-compound clutches generally engage quite abruptly because they have no marcel (compressability). This makes it very difficult to launch the car smoothly. Are you a hard driver or drag racer?

Please state your intent with respect to suspension mods. I am unclear what duty this car is going to see (cruiser, street racer etc). I suspect you need new shocks and struts, assuming they have not been replaced. The OEM stuff lasts around 35K mi and they are white in color. You need to have someone inspect this car to ensure suspension mods have not been completed by the former owner. It would be silly to remove a $5K suspension kit, now wouldn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lscman said:
Kin,

Why would you be considering a new clutch? You've owned the car for one short month and you have not mentioned slip. What if the clutch was changed 2 mo ago?

A lightweight flywheel combined with a small 9-5/8" stock-sized clutch will have very low inertia, which can produce objectionable noise.

A race-compound clutches generally engage quite abruptly because they have no marcel (compressability). This makes it very difficult to launch the car smoothly. Are you a hard driver or drag racer?

Please state your intent with respect to suspension mods. I am unclear what duty this car is going to see (cruiser, street racer etc). I suspect you need new shocks and struts, assuming they have not been replaced. The OEM stuff lasts around 35K mi and they are white in color. You need to have someone inspect this car to ensure suspension mods have not been completed by the former owner. It would be silly to remove a $5K suspension kit, now wouldn't it?
Had the car checked already, no mods at all on it. Clutch has not been replaced, from service records. I drive the car hard and do throw it around quite a bit. As for the flywheel, I will only replace that if I do the clutch, just wanted to know if a preformance clutch will be fine with the OEM flywheel.

As for what I do with the car... it is my daily car but in the weekends I do bring it out for a thrash around twisty roads, might track the car but we will see. Tracking the Lotus Elise seemed logical, tracking the M5... well it feels like you are not supposed to. ??????

- Kin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Had the car checked already, no mods at all on it. Clutch has not been replaced, from service records. I drive the car hard and do throw it around quite a bit. As for the flywheel, I will only replace that if I do the clutch, just wanted to know if a preformance clutch will be fine with the OEM flywheel.

As for what I do with the car... it is my daily car but in the weekends I do bring it out for a thrash around twisty roads, might track the car but we will see. Tracking the Lotus Elise seemed logical, tracking the M5... well it feels like you are not supposed to. ??????

- Kin
Clutch:

A performance clutch is available to fit OEM dual mass flywheel. The shortcoming is you are stuck with a tiny 9-5/8" clutch. Some folks prefer to go to a larger 11" clutch, since it is 50% larger and capable of absorbing more heat and transmitting more torque. This allows most folks to stick with a more streetable performance organic disk. For other folks with massive mods, it facilitates a bigger, higher capacity clutch with necessary racey disk materials. Compared to a stock size clutch, a bigger clutch reduces rollover noise with light flywheels, because the bigger diameter clutch assembly adds substantial inertia to the overall flywheel/clutch package.

Suspension:

A good performance suspension kit will make the car somewhat more trackable, but it will significantly degrade the ride quality. If you own a Lotus Elise, I would suggest leaving the stock street suspension on your 4dr luxury M5, so it does not ride like a $10K econobox. It may be unnecessary to make an M5 a dual purpose car when you own a serious sports car. It really compromises the car for daily use, which is the majority of the time.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top