BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 M5 is showing signs of clutch slip, what sort of financial ruin will be heaped on me to get it fixed?

Dave

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Something like $1200-1400 for a factory replacement. About 2.5x that for the UUC upgraded clutch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dave try a search and you will find TONS of info regarding this issue. Personally, I would recommend a UUC clutch.

Robert
Dave Andrews said:
My 2001 M5 is showing signs of clutch slip, what sort of financial ruin will be heaped on me to get it fixed?

Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks chaps, so it's one arm, one leg and a lifetime of crippling debt.. Gack!!.. I'll have a search of the archives.

No warranty and 39,000 miles BTW.

Dave

·
Registered
661 Posts
$1200-$1400 for a clutch job can hadly considered expensive for a luxury/high performance car such as the M5. frankly if that is too much money for you, you should probably be driving something more affordable.
I just replaced my clutch with a factory one and I the cost for the clutch kit and labor was $1200. If you need a new flywheel it would run you another $700. Good luck!

·
Registered
661 Posts
A '01 with 39k miles should still be under warranty. Unfortunately warranty does not covers a clutch replacement. You'd need the maintenace warranty to cover the clutch.

Dave Andrews said:
Thanks chaps, so it's one arm, one leg and a lifetime of crippling debt.. Gack!!.. I'll have a search of the archives.

No warranty and 39,000 miles BTW.

Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DMZ, I dont necessarily consider the cost exorbitant per se, it's simply that a new clutch at 39,000 miles would normally be considered an unexpected expense; I think anyone would baulk at this regardless of their means. After reading the various threads it seems BMW have under-specced the clutch for this particular application.

Dave

·
Registered
661 Posts
Can't argue with you about the under-speced clutch on the M5 for aggresive driving. And we all know how hard is not to do that on a M5. But, just saying that $1200 for a clutch job on a $70k+ car is not out of line.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I also agree that the clutch is not up to duty for a car with 400hp, unless you drive it like a grandma, or really know how to baby a clutch while having fun. However, I do remember clutch jobs being $1200 on my fathers E28 535i, so I guess cost has not increased too much. Except that his E28 got 150k on the original clutch...
:cheers:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
BmwNut said:
Except that his E28 got 150k on the original clutch...
I only made it to 80k on my '85 535i original clutch :haha: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
BmwNut said:
the clutch is not up to duty for a car with 400hp, unless.........you really know how to baby a clutch...fun.
I agree a skilled, sensitive driver can successfully baby the clutch while having some fun. That said, nobody can extract the full potential from the M powertrain while babying the clutch. Clutch babying efforts go well beyond granny-shifting (a shifting method used to extend the life of tranny synchros). Delayed application of the throttle after each clutch pedal cycle adversely impacts acceleration.

The factory autoadjust clutch design is lame...it's that simple. Replacing it with "like" is foolhardy & short-sided, unless you're trading-in soon. Folks are experiencing chronic slip and performance issues plus premature failure. Under these conditions, the "cheaper OEM clutch" costs more & offers way less. The M5 with an OEM clutch is like a world-class sprinter with a weak hamstring. The OEM clutch should come with wingnuts for the driveshaft and bell housing.

Folks who alter their driving throttle application technique during shift overlap to "save" the clutch (applying throttle AFTER the clutch is released) are easily losing 3/4 to 1 sec in the 1/4 mile. Under these conditions, the M5 suddenly becomes a de-fanged 14 sec car that will struggle to outrun ponycars, 330i and 540i cars. You're basically defeating the M motor, except for the occasional single gear roll-on contest.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
dmz said:
A '01 with 39k miles should still be under warranty. Unfortunately warranty does not covers a clutch replacement. You'd need the maintenace warranty to cover the clutch.
Unless it was bought late 2000.

My warranty on my '01 with 30k expired 10/2004 but I got it CPO'd to 10/2006 or 100K miles.

Also, dealer replaced my clutch/flywheel under new car warranty, since my maintenance expired 10/2003. '01 came standard with 4yr/50kmile warranty with 3yr/36kmile maintenance. With the maintenance, the trick is remember to have it extended BEFORE it expires.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty at 42K miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had mine replaced under warranty at 19500 miles on my '03. I think it's ridiculous that the M5 clutch should fail this early. To make matters worse, I don't run my M5 particularly hard at all...I even rev match when I downshift. I like to drive it fast but I do not abuse it since want to keep it many years after all my warranties expire. Hell, my oil service didn't occur until 16500 miles if that tells you anything about how hard I drive it.

It's obviously a design issue...piss-poor design. As many clutch failures as I have read or heard about, I really think BMW should issue a recall and replace all of them with a stronger clutch...just my $.02.

·
10,455 Posts
dmz said:
I think the original poster was in the UK. They very likely have a different warranty than we do here in the US, and i'm pretty sure they don't have the full maintenance program. They can extend their factory warranty, year by year (indefinately, i believe, if you're willing to pay), which i think is pretty nice.
Mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
Its quite amazing how many post the clutch was covered by their maintenance or warranty. MY SA's line is..."not a covered item." 2.5xs the cost of an OEM for the UUC huh? Hmmm, well if I get 50-80K on it and my dealer buds say no, sounds like a better option to me too. The $1400 OEM replacement option sounds like a waste of good money, if you plan yours to be a keeper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts