BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Forum...Have read lots of threads similar to this issue but have yet to find one that matches dead on.

I have a 2001 m5 with almost 63k on the clock. I left the car for 2 weeks while away on business. I had planned to change the oil when I returned, so I got in, started her up, and tried to put it in gear to move it. It locked me out of all gears.
-Pumped the clutch pedal...No luck.
-I started it in gear with the clutch depressed and it appeared normal except i was unable to shift into another gear after exiting 1st or reverse
-I bled the slave cylinder (did not remove it however) making sure to keep the clutch side of the reservoir topped off. No change.
-No leaks from the slave and no apparent leaks from the clutch master cyl
-With the car off, the clutch depressed, and the car in gear, it is noticeably more difficult to push than when in neutral.(clutch seems to disengage about 90%)
-There is no sponginess or strangely low catch point to the pedal
-There are no new sounds coming from the clutch (throw out bearing whine, ugly grinding, chattering etc)
-There has always been a springy type squeak when pressing the pedal and that sound has not changed.

I've ordered a new Slave Cylinder and will install this weekend...but at this point im leaning towards a failing Clutch Master Cylinder. I'd like to think this is a hydraulic issue and not a bad mechanical component in the clutch itself.

Are there any other ideas or experience that could help resolve the issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
It could be either the maser of the slave cylinder, not much help.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I would be leery about jumping into the clutch. I can't think of anything in the clutch that would cause it to fail to disengage, except a completely disintegrated throw-out brg and you haven't heard any strange noises from that, or the clutch release fork (5) dropping off the ball pin (6), which is unlikely. It's far more likely to be you didn't get it bled properly. I've never had to do it myself, but I hear they are a ***** to bleed.

It needs a special tool but a great way to check is to put a pressure gauge on the slave cylinder bleeder hole and check you are getting a nice linear pressure rise as you depress the pedal. If not, you've got air in the system.

By the way, you've got company. :)

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/313298-e39-m5-clutch-problems.html

Clutch.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts