BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaning towards the CNS big dia clutch; but on the other hand, after nursing a stock clutch for 53000 (will probably go 60+) I have learned to drive the beast easy on launches...A bit concerned that if i get a really capable clutch, i will be tempted to drive like an idiot more oftenouichouich...I like the CNS's dual mass lightened flywheel 267 mm clutch & FW: The really Gucci dual clutch appeals to my techno sense, but i never will have that much power, and its a bit pricey...But then on the other hand if i do get a hair up my ***** and go for F/I at some point...

·
Registered
434 Posts
CNS is the only way to go. Maybe the best upgrade I have on my car. This clutch can really take the extra power gains.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
As a caveat, I have no experience with aftermarket hipo clutches on the M5. In general, however, I would say I consistently prefer stock clutches in daily drivers as I prefer the smooth engagement, long life, and lighter pedal stock clutches offer (the price point is typically better too).

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
The CNS has stock like engagement. The pedal has about 30% more effort, not a big deal. Mine took longer to break in then advertised, but again, not much of an issue.
'
If you are staying at stock hp levels, when you factor in cost, the stock clutch is very good. It is much cheaper (if you know where to look for the parts) and driven with a reasonable degree of sanity, should last.

The reason I went for the CNS was because of the power upgrade. I do not believe the stock parts can handle the extra power over the long term. I suspect I can get over 100k miles on the clutch, it is very robust and I nd not to pretend to be John Force on the highway!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lost in the emails...sorry; You want the computer right? PM me info and i'll box it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got SW, intake and full A/M exhaust heads to tips...And that's it for a while...Does feel Strong. Maybe F/I at some point but putting that kind of stress on a 100K Mile engine seems like asking for trouble...Maybe after bearings...Dunno.

Plan on keeping this thing for along time, so why not put in a clutch I don't ever have to think about?

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I am a big fan of the 280 mm setup with the 850 csi slave cyinder and a ltw flywheel, whether Rogue, UUC or JB Racing doesn't matter. Just make sure you balance the flywheel. Even if the manufacturer advertises that the flywheel is balanced, it's not balanced to the tolerance you want.

Why do I like that setup? Extremely light pedal force, very high (and hence, quicker) engagement, can handle the power (provided you get the semi-metallic clutch material), and has no protracted miserable break-in period ala the CNS setup.

--Peter

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My CNS ( 280mm semi metallic+lightened dual mass flywheel ) will be installed and ready to go this week. Stay tuned for the updates, as I am very excited how it will turn out.
I am not very familiar with the LW flywheels, but I was assured it is not as civil as the dual mass one. But if you are ok with this, it will save you at least $600 VS the CNS option.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
My CNS ( 267mm semi metallic+lightened dual mass flywheel ) will be installed and ready to go this week. Stay tuned for the updates, as I am very excited how it will turn out.
I am not very familiar with the LW flywheels, but I was assured it is not as civil as the dual mass one. But if you are ok with this, it will save you at least $600 VS the CNS option.
Corrected.

--Peter

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So parts: Clutch disc, P Plate, TOB, Rear MS, centering tool, new FW bolts? Loc tite/anti seize, Trans fluid (MTL), mounts are new...Assuming i get a new A/M PP without the SAC feature i don't need the spring pre-loader tool right?

Anything else that ought to be changed under there while deep into this?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You also might consider replacing the guibo ( new center sleeve+ new bolts ), gaskets between headers and exhaust, exhaust mounts and maybe a new starter.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guibo is new, SS Headers (Actually makes the job easier now that i Know how to do the springs, Starter? Hmm maybe but knowing this car they will claim it's a special M starter and want a grand for the thing...

CNS 10.5" Clutch/Flywheel seems like the way to go...Figure about a $2.5K DIY butts, guts, and feathers...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Guibo is new, SS Headers (Actually makes the job easier now that i Know how to do the springs, Starter? Hmm maybe but knowing this car they will claim it's a special M starter and want a grand for the thing...

CNS 10.5" Clutch/Flywheel seems like the way to go...Figure about a $2.5K DIY butts, guts, and feathers...
If you go this route, try to order it on the phone and ask for Mark, maybe he can extend you the offer that just ended today.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
+1 on Rear Main Seal. I passed on doing that last time since there is a school of thought that if it ain't broke....don't replace a RMS. But I'm maybe 40k since last clutch replacement and I may have a small leak. So for sure next time a new RMS is going in. Only question would be CNS kit or Brecus. I'm thinking CNS as it has the least compromises.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...847-brecus-feramic-clutch-install-review.html

Clemster is enjoying his very much although he is still in the "break in" period. We will put both of the Feramic clutches to the test during Timmayfest's Drag Night. Adam's should be fully broke in and I plan on driving the crap out of mine to be sure it is too once I get it in the car. I am still waiting on my fricken flywheel from Dinan so I can not comment on it's performance. Just thought I would throw one more option out there for you.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts