BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

The clutch was replaced on this car at 35,000mi. Now I've heard that the clutch on these cars are self-adjusting, but is there any kind of test I can do to see if the clutch is still good? Car has 50,800mi.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
There are a few ways to test, but some are abusive. What I recomend is to pull the ebrake to the stop, and then try to start the car off with a normal 1k rpm launch. If it stalls, then the clutch is grabbing well. If it starts slipping then the clutch is worn. The M5 has a small clutch, and I havent tried this in an M5, so be careful. If it does start to slip, clutch back in as you dont want to fry the clutch. Remember too, dont try to force the car to move. Just try to start it from a standstill like you normally would with family in the car.
The second way is turn DSC off, and rifle a fast upshift from 1st to second and try to break the back tires loose. If they chirp it is grabbing, if they dont it is slipping. That is the abusive test though.
With only 15k miles on the new clutch it should be in good shape. Are there any symptoms of it slipping, or are you just looking to make sure the clutch is heathly?
:cheers:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BmwNut said:
There are a few ways to test, but some are abusive. What I recomend is to pull the ebrake to the stop, and then try to start the car off with a normal 1k rpm launch. If it stalls, then the clutch is grabbing well. If it starts slipping then the clutch is worn. The M5 has a small clutch, and I havent tried this in an M5, so be careful. If it does start to slip, clutch back in as you dont want to fry the clutch. Remember too, dont try to force the car to move. Just try to start it from a standstill like you normally would with family in the car.
The second way is turn DSC off, and rifle a fast upshift from 1st to second and try to break the back tires loose. If they chirp it is grabbing, if they dont it is slipping. That is the abusive test though.
With only 15k miles on the new clutch it should be in good shape. Are there any symptoms of it slipping, or are you just looking to make sure the clutch is heathly?
:cheers:
Thanks for the tips man! :cheers:

Well frankly I've driven a lot of manual transmission cars, from the Mini Cooper, to the new E90 330i, but never one with this much power. I just wanted to make sure that the clutch is alright, as the people I work with, who work on M5's, had said that a common M5 problem is the clutch. However I always forget to ask them a way to test the clutch, as I am not familiar with the feeling of clutch slippage

I've already done the WOT madman shifting from 1-2-3-4-5, the tires chirp for about a second from the 1-2 shift. So I guess i'm in the clear :1:

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've got just over 44k miles on my car now, of which < 2k are mine, but thats 2k miles from someone who never drove a manual transmission before either. The service history has only one entry about the clutch way back when the car was new at 2K, something about "stick slip". So maybe back then it got a new clutch, no idea. Lets assume it did, so its got 42k miles. I've noticed no signs of slippage thus far, even with me learning on it. The guy who test drove it form me noticed none either. So I'm either really lucky, or got a super special clutch :/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts