BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After recently posting and getting excellent advise on my guibo, I decided to test your knowledge again.

I did search this site for my topic below, but have had no luck here or anywhere on the internet. I wanted to make sure that the spring is not known by code i.e. "GUIBO." :)

I have a 2002 with 68k miles on it. Clutch was replaced 2k miles ago. 2 days ago, I was driving the car hard and noticed nothing different with acceleration, stopping etc...the car was driving fine. When I got home and exited the car, I noticed a spring rolling around in the floorboard. After some research, I have decided this spring is the clutch compression spring (part #9 on link below).
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=35_0174&hg=35&fg=05

If I did not see the spring rolling around in the floorboard, I would never know it was not in its correct location. Since I did notice it in the floorboard, I have convinced myself the car shifts smoother. I think the pedal might be higher than it was, but nothing bad. In other words, I think I like it better with the broken spring! My only concern is potential damage - I do not think BMW would add a spring that is unnecessary. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what is the severity? Do I rush to replace the spring? By not having the spring attached am I doing damage to the ever so fun clutch? If the clutch was not new, I would not be that concerned about this missing spring, but the clutch is essentially brand new and I really do not want to replace another anytime soon.
Thoughts?
Thanks again to those who helped me out previously.:cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured it out

Guys,
If you ever have a comparable problem, I will post photos. Really easy fix that I just overlooked initially. The spring attaches to the rear of the pedal in a visible bracket as well as a grey piece atatched to the pedal mechanism above the pedal itself. I think this spring is meant to limit left/right sway in the pedal as well as stiffen the pedal and I doubt it will hinder performance. Maybe others will find this helpul if they find a spring rolling around in the floorboard. :)

Attachments

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
There should be a small amount of "free play" in the clutch pedal. Without it, the clutch fork would be continually rubbing against the throwout bearing (like driving with your left foot resting on the clutch pedal). It will wear out the throwout bearing fast. (I don't know what BMW specifies, but I would guess about a 1/16" to 3/8" at the pedal.)

REPLACE IT SOON!

·
Registered
83 Posts
funny you should bring this up.

Ive been unhappy with the clutch pedal engagement on my 540i so I too decided to look at my clutch pedal spring. Turns out its a very odd looking design. From what I understand, this spring has 2 functions. 1 being to bring the pedal back up to the proper height. The other being to aid in pressing the clutch down to the floor.

I removed my springs completely and the clutch action is MUCH better. It feels like 1 fluid movement instead of 3 different feelings in 1.

With the springs in place, I would release the clutch pedal and would feel a change in the effort. I would think that its the clutch starting to grab when it was actually one of the springs finishing its range of movement. It was hard to tell where the clutch actually started to engage which would result in shifting that was not that smooth.

Since you posted what the m5 spring looks like. Here is what the 540i spring looks like.... quite different.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I removed this spring from my M5 just to try it, clutch feels much better. Should I put it back, will it cause damage to drive without it?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I removed this spring from my M5 just to try it, clutch feels much better. Should I put it back, will it cause damage to drive without it?

The same people who put that 5w30 oil sticker under the hood put that spring assembly in the car ;)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Bump? Still wondering.

·
Registered
568 Posts
also wondering :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
hmmm?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
It will not enhance the performance of your car in any way.

The spring's purpose is to keep the clutch pedal off fully retracted when your foot is not on it, which is a good thing. The way that it is desigend the spring's pressure is reduced when the pedal is approximately 1/3 of the way down.

Think of it ths way, when you are driving aggressively, let's say dicing for example :eek: , the spring makes sure that the pedal comes up all of the way between shifts (for the losers that actually use the clutch while shifting hiha ) so that you get a complete trhow of the master cylinder, which in turn makes sure that the clutch fully disengages, which in turn makes the clutch last longer and work better.

If you don't like the spring assembly, toss it :), but recognize that you are not helpiog peformance and are exposing yourself to more frequent clutch changes and the increased chance of missed or nasty shifts.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Clutch pedal? Phhbbbt!

I barely tap the clutch pedal when I'm shifting for speed. If you're any good, you don't really need it anyway when you're shifting fast. In any case, I'm certainly not bothered by this little spring that only acts in the first 1/3 of travel. My advice: learn how to shift better if you're really concerned.

Reactions: rao

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I put the spring back in last week because without the pedal does not return up all the way and moves from side to side. It feels a lot better now. Odd because when I removed it it felt awesome, when I put it back in it feels better still. The only problem is I roll a few inches on hills. Without the spring I would not roll back more than a millimeter on hill bc I feel exactly where the clutch engages, with the spring in, I don't feel where it engages so I roll back until I can where it engages. How can this be improved? Other than that, I wouldn't recommend removing the spring.

·
Registered
568 Posts
clutch stop to eliminate some of the dead space?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
clutch stop to eliminate some of the dead space?
I don't think that will help. The problem finding the engagement point is that the spring pushes up too much near where the clutch engages.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I put the spring back in last week because without the pedal does not return up all the way and moves from side to side. It feels a lot better now. Odd because when I removed it it felt awesome, when I put it back in it feels better still. The only problem is I roll a few inches on hills. Without the spring I would not roll back more than a millimeter on hill bc I feel exactly where the clutch engages, with the spring in, I don't feel where it engages so I roll back until I can where it engages. How can this be improved? Other than that, I wouldn't recommend removing the spring.
Do you remember how you put the spring back? The issue I have is that I'm having difficulty putting the 2nd dowel all the way through, apparently due to the compression of the spring pushing back against it. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Do you remember how you put the spring back? The issue I have is that I'm having difficulty putting the 2nd dowel all the way through, apparently due to the compression of the spring pushing back against it. Please advise.
Its a big PITA putting that spring back in. If I understand you correctly, Try to compress the spring a little and push the pin through hard. You need to keep moving it around and putting pressure on the pin to try and get it lined up so it goes in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The correct use of the parking brake will help on hill starts if you are having difficulty finding the friction point on the clutch.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Its a big PITA putting that spring back in. If I understand you correctly, Try to compress the spring a little and push the pin through hard. You need to keep moving it around and putting pressure on the pin to try and get it lined up so it goes in. Hope this helps.
Chopper, I put the spring back in!!! I found the trick and I'll document it here in case anybody suffers with this sometime:

1. Place the spring in and align the lower hole, and place the lower dowel through completely.
2. With the pedal unpressed, force in the top hole of the spring into its location (the holes wont align but don't worry)
3. Depress the pedal fully with one hand, the hole should align enough to push in the top dowel about 75% in.
4. Using a pair of pliers, bite the top of the dowel with the flange of where the hole is and press it down. Dowel will go all the way through.
5. Voila, you have both dowels in completely through.:thumbsup:

PS: After driving it again with the spring back on, I have to admit it does feel better. Shifting jerkyness is gone; apparently I have better foot clutching timing and control with the spring in. Maybe I just got used to using the spring for so long, that now putting it back in just feels right.

Reactions: AVGVSTVS

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The correct use of the parking brake will help on hill starts if you are having difficulty finding the friction point on the clutch.
+1 This is a requirement to pass the driving test in the UK! Rollback = instant fail of test. (Handbrake as it's called over there LOL)

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
+1 This is a requirement to pass the driving test in the UK! Rollback = instant fail of test. (Handbrake as it's called over there LOL)
"Hand brake" lol. most cars on this side of the pond have a non-functional pedal actuated parking brake. This of course means if you say "hand brake" the look you get is akin to a badger in the headlamps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts