BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get some mild clutch chatter on the rare occasion. Usually if the car has been running for a while and it happens only when I accel and clutch in a very specific way, usually when I'm trying to move the car a short distance very slowly like into a tight parking spot or something. When it happens I can avoid it again but adjusting my technique. Is a little bit once in a while anything to worry about? My e34m5 always had a tiny bit too but it never got worse in the 4 years I owned it. Until recently I didn't even know that chatter could be a symptom of something. I just thought it was normal for a bad launch.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
nixter, did you ever figure out what this was? i am experiencing a sound that it best described as a "chattering" sound too. for example, if you took a thin metal tab and had spokes strike it at low rpm is what my sound..sounds like. i can hear mine the most at aaround 2k rpm, 2nd gear at low speeds (like driving around in a parking lot).

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, i forgot about this! I think it either went away or I just learned to drive it in such a way that it doesnt happen anymore. Sorry I dont have more info for you!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
To discuss clutch chatter, you have to specify whether it is stock or which brand of aftermarket clutch and flywheel. Without that information, it is not possible to determine if it's normal or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
common with aftermarket units i suspect. OEM would probably point to disc contamination...perhaps from an oil leak ( rear main seal).

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
nixter, did you ever figure out what this was? i am experiencing a sound that it best described as a "chattering" sound too. for example, if you took a thin metal tab and had spokes strike it at low rpm is what my sound..sounds like. i can hear mine the most at aaround 2k rpm, 2nd gear at low speeds (like driving around in a parking lot).
Are you operating the clutch when you hear this noise or just driving around?

The centre support brg on the driveshaft can make a funny noise. Check out this thread.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...n/206272-weird-clicking-noise-drivetrain.html

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
My sound is not as bad or as loud as the one in the video in post #6.

cab, I can see how disc contamination is possible. I take it the only way to fix that is to access the clutch and clean or replace?

My clutch is all stock, replaced around 100k, sitting at 168k now. No slippage and pulls strong (no delay upong throttle tip in). The sound occurs with my foot off the clutch pedal, really audible around 2k RPM, 2nd gear, 30 mph. There are no codes and at idle the engine sounds pretty darn normal for the mileage (thank god!). It honestly sounds like teeth chattering when you're freezing your @$$ off, except with a metal tone to it. Right now I feel like it is chain slap/drag somewhere along its path or clutch/flywheel chatter due to contamination (as cab suggests)? Is flywheel chatter even possible?? I've also replaced the chain tensioner within the past 3-4 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts