BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have major chatter issues with their SMG clutch? I've had the clutch assembly, including pressure plates and flywheel replaced 2 times, with the service mechanics and foreman saying that there was an issue. Now the District Rep has test driven the car, and says that is completely normal, and to allow up to 5,000 miles for break-in!!! Now, I'm not an expert on BMW clutches by any means, but I do race cars professionally, and know that it does NOT take 5,000 miles to break-in a clutch.

He also suggested that I don't "feather" the throttle...which I don't do...that's his only solution to the chatter.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I would think they are full of what makes the grass grow green !!!, a clutch should never chatter when new, something is out of wack, and it's not the clutch assembly........Been turning wrenches for 40 years, they are BULLSHI_TING YOU>

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think they are full of what makes the grass grow green !!!, a clutch should never chatter when new, something is out of wack, and it's not the clutch assembly........Been turning wrenches for 40 years, they are BULLSHI_TING YOU>
Thanks for the reply...so what do you suggest that it is? I have to somehow try to make them replace something...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i'd say try a different dealer , dont tell them you've been somewhere else just make an app as a cust with a problem !!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I just went don't there and was told by the shop foreman that the District rep brought another M5 over 10,000 miles to the dealership, and it did the same exact thing...I didn't see the rep, or the other car...but I still don't think that this clutch chatter is normal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
District rep brought another M5 over 10,000 miles to the dealership, and it did the same exact thing...
I must be missing something and it is late here... 10,000 miles :confused:

So which country did the rep go to, to find a car with the same problem :confused2

Just realised, it's an "April Fools" thing...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must be missing something and it is late here... 10,000 miles :confused:

So which country did the rep go to, to find a car with the same problem :confused2

Just realised, it's an "April Fools" thing...
Unfortunately, this is not an April fools joke...it is a legitimate problem. The rep claims that the clutch does this after the break-in period of the car from new. My guess is the car he "tested" that had the same problem was a buy-back with the same issue!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm guessing you are setting off in 1st and not 2nd, I do get a very slight judder if I set of in second, which I hardly ever do, eg if I'm slowing in traffic, almost to a stop but go again just before it changes to 1st...

Appart from that my car is fine with about 20K miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm guessing you are setting off in 1st and not 2nd, I do get a very slight judder if I set of in second, which I hardly ever do, eg if I'm slowing in traffic, almost to a stop but go again just before it changes to 1st...

Appart from that my car is fine with about 20K miles.
Yeah, I really don't think a $90k car is supposed to have clutch chatter in first gear. The chatter is from a standstill. Sometimes the gear changes are rough, and the downshifts have some chatter.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
It has to be diagnosed by a mechanic who knows what he is doing...you could bring it here to my dealership they are #1 in my book....and i know what I'm doing. period

·
Registered
162 Posts
How many miles did you do on the original clutch before you started getting the problem? The fact that the clutch has been replaced once, never mind twice would suggest the problem is elsewhere - warped flywheel for instance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts