BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious, for those of you that have installed a new clutch and followed BMW's break in procedure (800-1000 shifts), how long did it take you? i installed my new clutch yesterday and counted 95 shifts, but i was in traffic much more than i usually am.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It depends how much you drive. It took me almost 3 months to break in my new LUK clutch :) I put only 3K mi in a year

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It depends how much you drive. It took me almost 3 months to break in my new LUK clutch :) I put only 3K mi in a year

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just had a new LUK clutch and flywheel put in, other than clutch drops and burnouts, there really doesnt seem to be much for a breakin.

Its smooth as butter and pulls so nice.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I just had a new LUK clutch and flywheel put in, other than clutch drops and burnouts, there really doesnt seem to be much for a breakin.
Its smooth as butter and pulls so nice.
From page 106 of the Owner's Manual:

The clutch will also begin to function
optimally after about 300 miles
(500 km). Engage the gears carefully
during the break-in period.

·
Registered
333 Posts
From page 106 of the Owner's Manual:

The clutch will also begin to function
optimally after about 300 miles
(500 km). Engage the gears carefully
during the break-in period.
The shop did a couple of 7K rpm clutch drops so I'm good :thumbsup:

hiha

Its like anything, let it work in before you start to working it

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
factory workshop manuals say:

Break in SAC clutches moderately to ensure correct operation.
Caution!
Fast sports driving maneuvers destroy new clutches!
Such maneuvers include:​

• Driving maneuvers with high speed differentials
• Overlapping gearshifts with high speed differentials (slipping clutch)
• Very high starting speeds (e.g. when driving onto a transporter)

Comply with the following procedure when breaking in the new clutch:
- Break in friction linings with light to medium loads (observe breaking-in program)
- Normal driving with many "moderate" gearshifts
- Starting speeds on the level up to approx. 2000 rpm
- Specific breaking-in program on gentle gradients
- Starting speeds on a medium gradient up to approx. 2500 rpm (e.g. when driving onto a
transporter)

This procedure helps to create a carbon layer between lining and metal friction surface which
generates the required coefficient of friction.
Breaking-in
program:
• At approx. 30 km on roads
(specially for M5
and Z8)
• Shift through gears often Starting speed max.
2000 rpm
• Upshifts 1>2>3>4>5
• Downshifts at 2000 rpm 5>4>3>2>1
• Upshifts and downshifts at 3500-4000 rpm
• 3 to 5 times starting on gentle gradient (up
to approx.
12 %)
Starting speed max.
2500 rpm​

Note:
Experience shows that approx. 800 to 1000 gearshifts are required for an optimally
broken-in lining when a car is driven "normally" (advise customer).
i'm at 145 changes today (can't believe i'm actually counting this stuff) :noSMG:

·
Registered
423 Posts
i had my clutch put in on friday and also the exhaust redone the same day... now how can you break in a clutch shifting at 2000rpm when u wanna hear the exhaust... this is a dilemma i cannot resolve.. so i went on the highway and put 300 miles crusing just to put some mileage... plus i was stuck in traffic for an hour that day (long island expressway) so soon enough i will be doing clutch drops and smoking the tires and driving back to replace the damn thing again... 800-1000 shifts (redline every single shift)

·
Registered
539 Posts
:clap:Bravo ihor!!! I am sure that your parents would be proud of such ridiculous maneuvers. The point of breaking in the clutch is to promote longevity, correct? Following the recommended procedure will allow many more miles of bliss and aural pleasure with your vehicle. Time spent on a lift in a shop being repaired is time that you are not behind the wheel enjoying the treasures that your vehicle has to offer. This is precisely why vehicles like this are coveted so much by their owners and lusted after by true enthusiasts. Follow the break-in procedure. You'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
how can you break in a clutch shifting at 2000rpm
Reread, instructions say starting speeds not to exceed 2000 rpm. Shifting at 3000-4000 should be fine, but be gentle yet firm on the shifts.
Starting speeds shouldn't need to be over 1000 or so rpm IMHO.
Regards
Jerry

·
Registered
423 Posts
actually i havent gone over 3000rpm... i installed the clutch so i actually know the pain in the *** job it is and what is needed to take out the tranny and put it back in so i really am babying it until it fully broken in... and my parents know of my driving and how i am behind the wheel but since i pay for my own cars and mods the only thing the say to me is stay out of jail and away from tickets and hospital... yea i know that kinda narrows everything down... but no in reality i am driving the car normally ive only had it for two weeks so i want the car to have the clutch broken in before it gets put away for winter (upstate newyork winter requires snow tires and a big plow lots and lots of snow) and i dont want the car to have any rust on it... M540i i do want longevity out of the clutch and the car so i am doing the proper break in on the clutch

·
Registered
108 Posts
^ oh the joys of living in FL.. so how hard/ how much should labor cost on an install? im looking to doing a new clutch soon, I'm thinking of getting a ltw fly wheel but i had one on my last M3 and i hated the chatter noise at lights and stuff.. anybody know if a LTW fly wheel and LUK clutch go hand in hand?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i paid $550 in labor at an indy. if i had not been really busy recently i would have done it myself, it's not the hardest job in the world.

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
^ oh the joys of living in FL.. so how hard/ how much should labor cost on an install? im looking to doing a new clutch soon, I'm thinking of getting a ltw fly wheel but i had one on my last M3 and i hated the chatter noise at lights and stuff.. anybody know if a LTW fly wheel and LUK clutch go hand in hand?
I think the "book" on a clutch install is somewhere between 8-10 hours. Your dealer can give you a quote.
Real time is somewhere between 4-6.
People with the Dinan LTW seem to be satisfied.
Might check with Redline in Pompano Beach for installation costs. Ask for Rennie.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
423 Posts
clutch install really is 4-6 but say u got rusted bolts on your exhaust or on anything else it will take more time so realisticly 5-7 hours but 10 hours is way over doing it... and msot shops have power bleeders which take 60 sec to bleed a clutch (snap on sells it) and a resurfaced flywheel works just fine aslong as your clutch didnt scratch it or anything like that (aslong as u reuse new stock clutch) and make sure whatever u do bring it to a place that has a real allignment tool because that will deff save alot of time and there for money... the most time is dropping exhaust and putting it back up to pop the tranny off is less then hour its 12 bolts holding tranny,,3 bolts hold drive shaft.. disconnecting shifter ... and disconnecting slave cylinder.. plus all the little clip on sensors this whole process is less then hour to do and pop it back on is the same

1 - 19 of 19 Posts