BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my new clutch installed and based on the posts I've read some people say to shift easy for the first 500 - 1000 miles and some say 500 - 1000 shifts. Which is my best bet? After the first 500 - 1000 miles or shifts can I just go straight from easy shifts to full on aggressive shifts? I have a local chapter DE/Club Race event in two weeks and am wondering if it is too soon after the new clutch to participate. Any thoughts? At the price of our clutch installs I don't want to shorten the clutch life unecessarily.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been told 500 miles or so of normal around the town driving before beginning to get aggressive with the shifting.

·
Registered
2013 F10 M5
532 Posts
The point of "breaking in" a clutch is to get heat into the organic compounds and the bonding agents to "solidify" the mix. While I don't suggest using the break pads break in routine, you can break in a clutch without babying it around for 500 miles. If you can get some good heat into the clutch without being aggresive then it would be sufficent enough for your track day.

If nothing else, use the 500 miles rule of 70% city, 30% highway as best you can.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Shifts. Think about it. Yes, there is the heating issue, but if you get on the freeway and into 5th or 6th gear and drive 1000 miles w/o shifting there will be next to zero wear on the clutch. Drive 100 miles in a city with stop signs at every other corner and you will have lots of wear. In any event, I would not rip into the clutch even when fully broken-in, as it is a known weak point (uses same transmission/clutch as M3 6 cyl., which has far less torque).

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
First posted by XrayMD, per BMW it takes 800-1000 shifts as seen below. Note the info below also includes a process for the tech to take for M5/Z8 cars to help initial break-in prior to giving the car to the customer (which I'm essentially sure almost none of them follow).

Shoot for ~1000 shifts at moderate rev differentials, no high rpm upshifts, no hard starts, etc., would be my advice.

Chuck

BMW AG - TIS
RA: Breaking in SAC clutch

Issue status (03/2002)

Break in the friction linings of the clutch by applying light to medium loads, in the same way as for brake linings. This preconditioning creates a carbon layer between lining and metal friction surface which in the end generates the necessary coefficient of friction. Breaking in can take the form of either normal driving with many gearshifts or a specific breaking-in program on gentle gradients.

"Normal" driving will not damage the clutch. "Normal" driving conditions involve drive-off speeds of up to approx. 2500 rpm on a medium gradient, e.g. when driving onto a transporter. Normal driving off on a level surface at speeds up to approx. 2000 rpm are likewise sufficient.

Sporting driving maneuvers will destroy a new clutch! These include driving maneuvers at high differential speeds, overlaps or very high drive-off speeds, e.g. when driving onto a transporter.

When a vehicle is moved "normally", an empirically established figure of approx. 800-1000 gearshifts is applicable to an optimally broken-in lining.

Please conduct the following breaking-in program in order to avoid later customer complaints:

* specifically for M5 and Z8 vehicles

Breaking-in program for approx. 30 km on road

Vehicle subject to "moderate" shifting processes

Drive off at max. 2000 rpm; upshift 1->2, 2->3, 3->4; upshift at 3500-4000 rpm, downshift 4->3, 3->2, 2->1, downshift at 2000 rpm

Drive off 3 to 5 times on a gentle gradient up to approx. 12%, drive-off speed max. 2000 rpm

Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for the official post CSBM5. Lots of up/downshifts at moderate revs (2k-4K) for 500-600 miles of mixed driving is what I was told by BMW.

By the way, isn't that new clutch smell scary and god-awful? Man...

Eric

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Just like breaking in the brake pads... yum yum chemical BBQ smell.
If you think that's bad, you should try the Centric Posi-Quiet brake pads. Yow what a smell! But it goes away after bedding-in and a few hundred miles, and the pads are super. As I recall, my Tubi exhausts smelled pretty bad on break-in, too. :cheers:

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Glad to see that I am not the only one. My garage smells like a meth lab when I get home.
Uh, how do you know what a meth lab smells like?:1::1::1:
Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, thanks for all the replies. I am planning on doing almost all city driving to promote the most shifting. One of the reasons I was a little curious about this was becuase last night I went out for a 20 mile trip and counted shifts...I know I must be crazy.:rolleyes: Anyway, I had 148 shifts on that trip and was figuring I'll reach 1000 shifts way before 1000 miles so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and shift as much as I can for the next 500+ miles before I start getting a bit more aggressive with the shifts. I can't wait to let the beast breath some air at above 4000 rpms...:M5launch:

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Can someone clarify the break in procedure "take off at < 2000 RPM" - is that referring to launching? I usually roll off the clutch at 800, just off idle and fully engage well before 1500 RPM. Is that cool with a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel? Also is it necessary to go 1000km, what if I manage to drive the back roads and shift 2000 times in 250 miles?

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Can someone clarify the break in procedure "take off at < 2000 RPM" - is that referring to launching? I usually roll off the clutch at 800, just off idle and fully engage well before 1500 RPM. Is that cool with a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel? Also is it necessary to go 1000km, what if I manage to drive the back roads and shift 2000 times in 250 miles?
Rich,

"Mating" the surfaces occurs with repeated engagements, not total miles logged. Rolling out at 800 is quite low - you don't have to be that gentle. I have broken in both the previous stock disc and the current Brecus Feramic disc - on the same original OEM flywheel - by driving moderately on back roads with lots of up and down shifting. No need to over think it, just don't beat on it early on. BTW, am I still doing the install or have you done it already?

Reactions: bimmerule

·
Registered
7,549 Posts

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Clutch party at your place? I could use one done too. :)

same, i'm @ about 90K on this clutch. and it was starting to feel a little soft at the track last year.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Clutch party at your place? I could use one done too. :)
same, i'm @ about 90K on this clutch. and it was starting to feel a little soft at the track last year.
Hmmm, 3 clutch installs in one day. :eek:h: I'm game for one per day. Any more than that is no party in my book!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I did 1000 miles of gentle shifting at max 5k rpm. Lots of upshifting and downshifting. Clutch has been great so far.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts