BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a brake service on my beast and added SS brake lines. I replaced the brake fluid at that time. I now need to bleed the clutch to get the old fluid out of that line. I've searched on clutch bleeding and have found lots of info on the topic, but wanted to get the opinion of those who have done this before, am I better off using my Motive power bleeder or having someone help me and pump the clutch manually? (If you are recommending the power bleeder route, what level do you pressurize the bleeder to?)

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I do it with two people. The other person does the clutch pedal pumping and I do the technical work.
-I attach a small hose on the bleeder valve, to drain the fluid into a container.
-I have the other person give it 12 pumps (this is my personal remedy).
- while on the 12th pump I yell "HOLD!!!" to the person pumping. He keeps the pedal in all the way to the floor after his 12th pump.
-Then I open the bleeder vlave(don't take it completely off, just enough for the fluid to come out.
-The brake fluid will come out mixed with air, which makes it looks like bubbles. The theory is that you do not want any bubbles.
-I tighten the bleeder valve.
-The clutch should start to stiffen up.
-I repeat this process as long as necessary (usually 2-3 more times). Remember NO BUBBLES!!
-keep in mind You will need to have Only DOT4 fluid in hand, about 3 containers (just in case).

Hope this helps out!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I didn't realize that the clutch took that much fluid. Good to know, because I was only looking at grabbing a bottle. Just wanting to know if Ate Super Blue Brake Race Fluid is acceptable?

TopEnd, you stated that you repeat this process usually 2-3 more times. Now, to clarify this, do you do it in 12 pumps each time or is 2-3 more times pressing down on the pedal? My assumption is going to be that you are pressing the pedal 12 pumps each time for sets of 2-3.

How often should this service be performed also? Is this an annual service? Or something down at higher mileage intervals or in intervals of 50k, etc.? For those of us with 540is on the board that have the CDV (clutch delay valve) this would be a good time to remove that and plug the two lines together. This would be logical to me if I was already under there draining fluid.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
um it look like you are stating that you open the bleeder valve enough for fluid to come out and then pump it 12 times...

I think you meant to say pump it 12 times and then open the valve. if you open the valve and then pump it you will suck air in everytime the pedel is raised off the floor...

Ryan
I do it with two people. The other person does the clutch pedal pumping and I do the technical work.
-I attach a small hose on the bleeder valve, to drain the fluid into a container.
-Then I open the bleeder vlave(don't take it completely off, just enough for the fluid to come out.
-Then I have the other person give it 12 pumps (this is my personal remedy). Within those 12 pumps the brake fluid will come out mixed with air, which makes it looks like bubbles. The theory is that you do not want any bubbles.
- while on the 12th pump I yell "HOLD!!!" to the person pumping. He keeps the pedal in all the way to the floor after his 12th pump.
-I tighten the bleeder valve.
-The clutch should start to stiffen up.
-I repeat this process as long as necessary (usually 2-3 more times). Remember NO BUBBLES!!
-keep in mind You will need to have Only DOT4 fluid in hand, about 3 containers (just in case).

Hope this helps out!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, but I have to agree with member meedham1979 that you would get air in the line if you pump it while the valve is left open. Has anyone done this process with a Motive power bleeder? If doing it manualy by pumping the clutch I would expect to do it just like the brakes, opening the valve as the second person presses the clutch and then closing it before the clutch hits bottom, then repeat until all the old fluid is out of the line. Wouldn't you want to avoid getting any air in the system?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have used a power bleeder many times.....it keeps the wife happy and not involved. To bleed the clutch/brakes, I suck as much fluid from the resovior as possible with a turkey baster. Then refill with new fresh fluid. Put a quart of new fluid in the power bleeder check all lines for a good seal. I like to put a towel or two around where I am working, as brake fluid ruins the paint. I pump it up to about 25psi (Bentley manual has a BMW spec...double check it), then go open the bleeder. Let it bleed for a while until good clean fluid is coming through. It is a trick to remove the power bleeder without spilling any fluid. With the bleeder still open, turn the power bleeder upside down until all the fluid is out of the line, and the resovoir is starting to lose fluid. Then go close the bleeder. Loosen the power bleeder cap (right side up now) to release pressure, and carefully take it off the resovoir. It takes a time or two...do an old car first!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
um it look like you are stating that you open the bleeder valve enough for fluid to come out and then pump it 12 times...

I think you meant to say pump it 12 times and then open the valve. if you open the valve and then pump it you will suck air in everytime the pedel is raised off the floor...

Ryan

Edited my post. To summarize what I meant:

pump 12 x's
open valve/ release air bubbles
tighten
repeat as necessary.
Thanks Ryan for the catch

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
TopEnd, you stated that you repeat this process usually 2-3 more times. Now, to clarify this, do you do it in 12 pumps each time or is 2-3 more times pressing down on the pedal? My assumption is going to be that you are pressing the pedal 12 pumps each time for sets of 2-3.
12 pumps each time for every set

·
Registered
990 Posts
FWIW, Somewhere in my educational process I was told slow steady pumping is better than hard fast pumps, as the fast pumping tends to stir up the fluid. Made sense to me, so I remembered it.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
FWIW, Somewhere in my educational process I was told slow steady pumping is better than hard fast pumps, as the fast pumping tends to stir up the fluid. Made sense to me, so I remembered it.
makes sense to me too...

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
I have used the motive bleeder.

I put the bleeder on and pump it to 15 psi. Then open the beelder valve on the slave. I usually catch it with a tube going into a bottle. Do this until you can see the new fluid coming out. close the bleeder valve and remove the presure bleeder.

becareful when you remove the presure bleeder, I have seen people spary fluid everywhere. Remove the pressure from the motive bottle by turning the cap on the bottle itself. Then remove the cap on the brake resevior. Do this carefully and with a rag handy tip it up quickly to avoid making a mess in the engine compartment while letting it drain into the bleeder.

then put everything together and drive it... your done

Ryan

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have used the motive bleeder.

becareful when you remove the presure bleeder, I have seen people spary fluid everywhere. Remove the pressure from the motive bottle by turning the cap on the bottle itself.

Ryan
Ryan, if you turn the pressure bleeder upside down with the bleeder open you can drain the fluid out of the line, as well as the resovoir down to the full line, then close the bleeder. Makes less of a mess this way. FWIW.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but you wouldn't spray fluid everywhere with the Bavarian Autosport Power Bleeder as it has the quick connect fitting at the end of the line that goes to the cap that screws on the brake fluid resevoir? It's the type of coupling that you would find on tools that go to air compressors.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Certainly helps to take some preventative action against this rather than having to wipe it up later with layers of paint missing from your engine bay. Good call!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've used the power bleeder for many years. Watch the condition of the tubing. It will age and crack at the most inopportune time and will spray brake fluid all over your garage walls to say nothing about the engine compartment and fenders. Hardware stores sell replacement tubing.

Joe

·
Registered
683 Posts
Great post,thanks folks. Can I get to the clutch bleeder valve from the side of car while I lay down and the car is on he Rhino ramps or do I have to fully get underneath?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've used the power bleeder for many years. Watch the condition of the tubing. It will age and crack at the most inopportune time and will spray brake fluid all over your garage walls to say nothing about the engine compartment and fenders. Hardware stores sell replacement tubing.

Joe
My tubing broke the last time it was used. Luckily my brother was using it on his car!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts