BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Its time for me to replace my M5 clutch and flywheel and i have never done it before. I had planned to get the Luk clutch kit and flywheel but seems like luk clutch kit has been backordered. What would be a good match for luk flywheel. car is stock and im not planing to abuse the car. Do you think South bend Stage 2 endurance clutch kit would be a goof fit? any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The clutch and flywheel are available from FCP Euro from what I can see. So I'm sure they are currently available from other vendors as well unless you are trying to get it from a BMW dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch and flywheel are available from FCP Euro from what I can see. So I'm sure they are currently available from other vendors as well unless you are trying to get it from a BMW dealer.
Flywheel is still available but the luk clutch kit is not. when you actually click on it you can clearly see backoredered.

·
Registered
438 Posts
EDIT: Unbelievable, i commented on the wrong forum.

Made in Germany, OEM clutch : 2006-2010 BMW E60 E63 E64 M5 M6 S85 Engine 7Speed SMG Transmition OEM Clutch | eBay

how many miles do you have ? Check if you can reuse the flywheel. If the car hasn't been abused, flywheel can be used if its still in spec. The clutch wears out more with miles.

You have to buy the "package" so they are balanced. Otherwise, I have no idea how one achieves a balance. I had mine installed, and the package was around $1500:
OEM BMW SMG 2006-2010 M5 M6 S85 Engine Dual Mass Flywheel DMF+ Clutch Kit | eBay , and working great !

Be careful with the flywheel installation - there are 8 wrong ways and one right way. You follow the markings and align them correctly, otherwise car won't start up lol 🙏

·
Registered
146 Posts
Backorder is likely due to covid supply issues. I ordered my Luk clutch and flywheel from FCP early last year no issue. If you're daily driving your M5 then recommend sticking with a dual mass (stock) flywheel.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
So Its time for me to replace my M5 clutch and flywheel and i have never done it before. I had planned to get the Luk clutch kit and flywheel but seems like luk clutch kit has been backordered. What would be a good match for luk flywheel. car is stock and im not planing to abuse the car. Do you think South bend Stage 2 endurance clutch kit would be a goof fit? any help is appreciated.
I have a Southbend Stage III endurance clutch. My car has lots of power mods. With a lightened flywheel (thanks Jed!), it is just a little heavier than a stock pedal. Best clutch the car has ever had.

If you are stock, the original setup should work just fine though. If you have the $$$$, get the flywheel lightened. It really improves the feel and the car revs quicker. But may not be worth the additional expense given the current car values and the amount you will spend on hte stock components.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: SidekickChuck

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I second a southbend clutch. Far better than OEM and good pedal feel. I dont have any power mods aside from a tune, and have always used beefier clutch setups as I like the feel of them. Started out with CNS and moved to Southbend (stage 2) and always paired with a lightened DMF, and like it very much.

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Interesting to see a near 180 degree turn in sentiment on Southbend. There used to be a lot of hate floating around.

To pile on, I run their full face feramic disc and non-SAC pressure plate with a stock dual mass and it's been great. It's about a 20% increase in pedal effort (which I like), and still easy to daily. It's a little grabby in first, but it holds the power great (450whp/450wtq).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts