BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after a year and a half of ownership and some good time at the track, it's time for me to replace the clutch. Anyway, I've done some research and talked to a couple of friends, and they all recommended the Sachs clutch kit. So what is your opinion on this? Any other possibilities? Specific things that I should know/expect from this model? BTW, the car is currently rated at ~452hp/410lb-ft.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
[ BTW, the car is currently rated at ~452hp/410lb-ft. [/B][/QUOTE]
How do you come to the conclusion that your car has 452hp? Modified in some way? Dyno results? We would like those same results.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hamann Exhaust+ECU+Cold Air Intake. Dynoed three months ago.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Do you have the Harmann headers?

Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
Reflex55 said:
Hamann Exhaust+ECU+Cold Air Intake. Dynoed three months ago.
heh

50hp from the ole IHE eh?

what kind of exauhst is this?
just a muffler/catback?

or headders, catalytic converters and everything?

oh, and to actually give you some input, I was doing some research and found that these guys: http://www.dialaclutch.com/
who distribute the stock M5 clutch can add a kevlar lining for increased durability/clamping force. very inexpensive too.

havent tried it yet tho!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the exhaust system is the complete package. Exhaust headers and everything. Thanks for the link, btw. It looks like an intersting thing. I'll check that out.

MEnthusiast : Photography is just a hobby. I wish that I could do it professinaly, though.:)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Reflex55 said:
...they all recommended the Sachs clutch kit. So what is your opinion on this? Any other possibilities? Specific things that I should know/expect from this model? BTW, the car is currently rated at ~452hp/410lb-ft.
Reflex-

The clutch is one area that's universally seen as a weak point, yet there's not been a definitive solution that's proven successful. I did a lot of research on this about a year ago, and then ended up getting a new clutch under warranty, so my investigation stopped.

My own M5 has never 'hooked up' as good as it did when new; I have a hard time breaking traction these days. Once hooked up, however, I have no complaints about power on tap. It's just that I don't go looking for stoplight drag races any more.

If you do a search using "sachs + performance + clutch," here's what you'll find:
http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=146346&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

I know of one member (540is) that installed the Sachs Peformance kit on his supercharged 540i. We've not heard much since the install on its performance.

I did have one California speed shop discourage me from trying the Sachs kit, as they said it likely would require some machining of the dual-mass flywheel to make fit. Sachs is NOT the OE manufacturer of the E39 M5 clutch--that job belongs to LuK.

If I had to make some changes on my own dime, I likely would go with an uprated Sachs clutch (can't beat the price on dial-a-clutch) and some aftermarket lightened flywheel like Dinan or UUC. I believe that would give me the missing 'hook-up' back, along with a more positive clutch engagement.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out. BTW, once you find your best price on anything Sachs, I would give the guys at Adirondack Auto Brokers a call to see if they can beat it. They are a great resource for Sachs clutches and Mintex pads (also Sachs). www.germanautoparts.com

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the information. I'll also have to read the posts from the search. I'm sure I'll have more questions, so don't go away.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts