BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 M5 with 106k miles. I get the clutch position deviation code (can't remember the number, will post an update) and feel like things don't work as smoothly as they should. Sounds like it could be the release bearing sticking but I don't feel like dropping the transmission and buying a new clutch yet if I don't have to. I'm thinking about replacing the SMG CHF11S and read (from @jcolley?) that adaptation should be performed afterwards. I believe I also read adaptation could fail if there are issues with the clutch/flywheel/release bearing/pivot pin/etc.

Is adaptation necessary when changing the fluid? Should I risk it? Isn't bleeding a separate procedure?

Could a 2nd SMG ECU be a backup plan? (install ECU, adapt, put old ECU back if adaptation fails)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bleeding is separate procidure, you can run as many time as you need without any risk. Clutch adaptation is risky cause you can find yourself in situation when have to change clutch components in order to complete adaptation.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What @Pav said

If you're having issues and codes it's better to fix the problem before running the adaption. If it fails you'll be forced to fix it, rerun and pray till it works, or tow it to a shop.

No need to adapter after changing fluid, but then I also don't think changing the fluid would do anything other than make a mess and introduce the possibility of debris.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have thoughts on running adaptation with a spare SMG ECU installed? Seems like that may be a safe way to try adaptation without the worry of making the car inoperable.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Interested in this as well. I would like to replace the fluid..Need more confirmation if that can be done with no ill effects and no adaptation needed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wait, so running an adaptation can brick my ECU if something doesn't check out? Surely there's a way around this, like spoofing inputs from sensors, or SOMETHING?

EDIT: Maybe I'm overreacting. If something is far enough out of spec that the TCM is throwing a code, it probably needs to be resolved to prevent a more serious problem later on (dependent upon how conservative the "acceptable" ranges for the respective measurements are, I suppose).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait, so running an adaptation can brick my ECU if something doesn't check out? Surely there's a way around this, like spoofing inputs from sensors, or SOMETHING?

EDIT: Maybe I'm overreacting. If something is far enough out of spec that the TCM is throwing a code, it probably needs to be resolved to prevent a more serious problem later on (dependent upon how conservative the "acceptable" ranges for the respective measurements are, I suppose).
Temporarily "brick" your car due to exposing underlying mechanical issues/wear that must be fixed, not brick (int the traditional sense) the TCU.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Interested in this as well. I would like to replace the fluid..Need more confirmation if that can be done with no ill effects and no adaptation needed.

I use my vacuum brake bleeder to suck fluid out of reservoir and refill. I also pull the pump fuse. I wouldn’t recommend anything more than that when doing maintenance. I always notice a difference when refreshing fluid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got around to doing this and it worked fine. I installed the spare SMG module and adaptation was successful. After that I put my original back in and ran adaptation again. It definitely drives better now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
gpeterson
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing