BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my 91 m5; It's giving me feedback in the wheel, along with a squeaky sound and a clunk when I move the wheel from left to right (mostly the left). Is this a fluid issue, a steering box issue, or a suspension part? It's leavin me a bit confused and concerned, so any feedback would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
If the noise is a clunk, as in mechanical then it's prabobly an isue with the steering componets in the front suspension or the steering box itself, but first check the tie rods, pitman arm and drag link ends, then ball joints and top strut mounts.

BobZ

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would this be a shop job, or do you think it's simple enough to diagnose it by getting underneath it?

Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Brock250 said:
Would this be a shop job, or do you think it's simple enough to diagnose it by getting underneath it?

Thanks
Jack up the front of the car and support it on stands.
Then get underneath and grab each part individualy and rock it back an forth and if you feel movement then replace.
Steering box you can check by grabbing the output arm and getting someone else to move the steering wheel, you should see the movement in the steering shaft vs the steering arm.

BobZ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts