BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the M5 shifter REALLY clunk and notchy? It's the first manual I've ever driven, so I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. No one else has driven my car, so I can't ask their opinions either.

I particually find that when I'm in neutral and put the car into first, I can feel 2 notches. If I pull it back to neutral and back to 1st, it goes in smoothly.

The shift into 2nd while accelarting often feels like it's hard to do. I don't have to slam it, but it's not as smooth as shifting into all the other gears.

I've never heard any grinding or slipping noises, but could it just be issues with the shifter or a part of it, or could I have a greater transmission issue going on?

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
HDClown said:
Is the M5 shifter REALLY clunk and notchy? It's the first manual I've ever driven, so I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. No one else has driven my car, so I can't ask their opinions either.

I particually find that when I'm in neutral and put the car into first, I can feel 2 notches. If I pull it back to neutral and back to 1st, it goes in smoothly.

The shift into 2nd while accelarting often feels like it's hard to do. I don't have to slam it, but it's not as smooth as shifting into all the other gears.

I've never heard any grinding or slipping noises, but could it just be issues with the shifter or a part of it, or could I have a greater transmission issue going on?
It is a harder shifting car than most. When I first got the car, I hated the 1-2 shift so much I would often just start in second gear. A short shifter kit makes a big difference, at least it did for me. Make sure you have no tranny fluid leaks, low fluid could cause hard shifting.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The Getrag 226 tranny is notchy and stiff, and there have been many complaints on the shift quality from 1st to 2nd. A fluid change in the tranny will help smooth out the shift action for a little bit, but it will never feel like a Honda S2000's tranny.
I hate to say it, but that shifter is something that is just part of the car. The 5spd box in my 528 was buttery, as is the 6spd in my friends E90. Difference is both of those trannys cant take the power through them like a 226, and big beefy trannys usually are not the smoothest in the world.
I dont know first hand, but I hear around the board that upgraded tranny mounts and a good SSK really help improve the feel of the tranny.
:cheers:

·
Registered
243 Posts
changing tranny fluid ALWAYS helps
in addition to tranny mounts, SSK and fluid change you might consider a clutch stop. It does not change the feel of the tranny but does improve the experience of shifting gears ... I did all of the above and love the results. it became quick, precise and sporty
IMHO

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ditto on the short shift kit. There is no going back. I sort of like the (still) notchy feel- though I lost the licorice stick feel (my purpose), reminds me there is something going on, rather than just a fast smooth shift. I recall the 528 had a notchy feel too; this one more so. Its never been an issue when I want to get busy with it. ;-) Yeehaw!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Even with a SSK and different tranny fluid, the car is harder than most manuals to shift smoothly (except perhaps a Triumph TR-4).

Now don't laugh, but I find myself driving bare-footed or stocking-footed whenever possible- it really does help me to feel the synchronization of the gas, clutch, and gearbox. :3: No nick-names, please hiha

Bill

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Even with a SSK and different tranny fluid, the car is harder than most manuals to shift smoothly (except perhaps a Triumph TR-4).

Now don't laugh, but I find myself driving bare-footed or stocking-footed whenever possible- it really does help me to feel the synchronization of the gas, clutch, and gearbox. :3: No nick-names, please hiha

Bill
Just had my gearbox replaced clunkin into 3rd gear and reverse, check your LSD mounts if worn can give a clunk when shifting.
WillMAD

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
HDClown said:

HDClown, this is old news to me . I had the same question when I first drove my car. It appears to be normal from the people who responded to my inquiry. You could probably do a search for the thread, but it's not worth it. Your car is fine.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
willm5ad said:
Just had my gearbox replaced clunkin into 3rd gear and reverse, check your LSD mounts if worn can give a clunk when shifting.
WillMAD
Haven't done any LSD since college, but I'm certain that would help
;)

Seriously, there's no clunking, just tricky shifting/clutching ever since the car was new, so I believe it's a design issue.
:cheers: -Bill

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The "clunking" I hear is definately from the trans, not a read differential. I know what differential clunks/slams sound and feel like since the E46 M3 does it a lot and I drove one for a year.

I have plans to get an SSK, probably my next mod. I forgot about swapping the trans fluid. I'm going to drain that out and put in MTF-LT2.

·
Registered
340 Posts
ELEVENS said:

Bill
Well I heard you folks in MN do things differently ;-) Just kidding (my fam is from 2 Harbors).

I do the same, left foot on long drives (lose the shoe) unless I have a sport/racing shoe on that provides the feel needed for the clutch. As for the loud pedal, I'd use a Herman Munster shoe if I could get one in there ;-):cool:

Now I never thought of using LSD to help my shifting ;-)

Sorry HD, I just can't help myself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
At 42K miles I just had the dealer change out the "permanent" tranny fluid that gets changed out at 1200 miles. I actually did this as a maintenance procedure and normally perform all my own maintenance but it was in the dealer for other items and I am getting older afterall (lazy). Much to my suprise the notchy shifter has improved considerably, it actually shifts better and smoother! For less than $100 have the tranny fluid changed for maintenance reasons and maybe you will be suprised also!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been driving my car for a little over a month now. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the tranny but I did a search on the forum and found that everyone was aware of this issue. I purchased the UUC SSK and it does make a noticeable difference, if you feel that the stock tranny is too notchy this is a way to make it better.

Someone mentioned a clutch stop... are they very useful? is the difference noticeable?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Rogue and UUC sell clutch stops...
quote from UUC site:

"The advent of an adjustable clutch stop lets the driver specifically set the ideal point of reference where the clutch pedal stops just after the clutch mechanism disengages. Therefore, once set properly, the gas pedal may be applied immediately after the clutch pedal is released.

This lets the driver shift with one less item to worry about, actually forcing them to become smoother."

I use it and I love it. I always thought that e39 (and the rest of BMW) clutches were too long ... clutch stop lets you have clutch pedal go down only to the point where the clutch disengages.
When I did not have clutch stop I still never pushed the clutch pedal to the floor but only to the disengagement point where I can switch gears, with clutch stop I don't have to think about it as it stops the pedal for me .

and here is what you might need to do do make clutch stop work (I did)
http://www.540i6.com/clutchstop.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts