BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little bit puzzled. Ive replaced mostly front end to fix the shimmy, and worn out parts. When you either stab or release the braking quickly at low speed, it can be felt. I am very sensitive on how I can feel something if it is off. Being deaf definitely heightened my other senses pretty well.

I am thinking Febi stabilizier end links might be the cause for the clunks. How do I check for knuckles to determine if they are ok.

I replaced
-OEM Tie rod ends with center drag link (installed last year)
-Lemforder thrust arms with powerflex black bushings (installed last year)
-Febi stabilizer end links (Installed a week or so before timmayfest trip)
-Front rebuilt calipers along with new brake rotors/pads (Installed recently on calipers)

·
Registered
178 Posts
You have control arms left, so maybe that should be the next part to change. Probably not the last part though... :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When I took out my old thrust arm, they were still good. I just wanted to be sure I replace those to fix the shimmy under braking which it was drag link with bad tie rod ends.. I am sure my other control arms good because the last time a shop did the thrust arm checked every suspension. It is all good and tight.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Check the front control arms, and the sway bay bushings and end links (grab hold of the links and see if you can move the link other than in the pivot range of the ball stud) and the brake components.

Have you looked at the rear suspension and carrier bushings?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Did you lubricate the brake pad slides (where the pads interface with the caliper bracket) and caliper slides when you replaced the brake parts?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the front control arms, and the sway bay bushings and end links (grab hold of the links and see if you can move the link other than in the pivot range of the ball stud) and the brake components.

Have you looked at the rear suspension and carrier bushings?
I haven't looked at rear suspension. I have a feeling that If I do bring my car to a shop, they will say that they see no issues with suspension. I will look around, especially the rear sway bar bracket.

old shocks up front?
I am running on koni shocks all around, which it is still firm and rebounds as it should. It is probably replaced 2 years ago or something. I know that it was replaced around 110k-120k miles by previous owner.

Did you lubricate the brake pad slides (where the pads interface with the caliper bracket) and caliper slides when you replaced the brake parts?
I am getting no noises except rear right brake squeal under certain braking situations. It only squeal when I turn left down hill into my driveway so that is when all the load is shifted into on that corner. I will look into it. I haven't done rear brakes yet. I think it might be on low pad left or rotors. I doubt that it is an issue though for that noise.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Powerflex bushings failed. I have since upgraded front stabilizer links to lemforder ones.

I am planning to get something that is built much more solid for thrust arm bushings replacement. I am thinking of mono balls bushings.

·
Registered
510 Posts

This is a big no no unless you're running the aftermarket brass caliper guide bushings. If you lube the pins, the grease will damage the guide bushings. The pins should have been cleaned during the brake overhaul.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Update: Powerflex bushings failed. I have since upgraded front stabilizer links to lemforder ones.

I am planning to get something that is built much more solid for thrust arm bushings replacement. I am thinking of mono balls bushings.
Your powerflex black bushings failed? I'd love to see a photo of how they look when that happens.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your powerflex black bushings failed? I'd love to see a photo of how they look when that happens.
The powerflex does not look good. I think the grease dried up or something due to weather. I could move the thrust arm a bit around power flex bushings. Ball joints are very tight as I replaced the arms about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The powerflex does not look good. I think the grease dried up or something due to weather. I could move the thrust arm a bit around power flex bushings. Ball joints are very tight as I replaced the arms about 2 years ago.

Wow that's disappointing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts