BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my new (to me) M5, it has made a distinct "clunk" sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds. It only happens once per direction change, and generally only when pulling into my garage or parking in a lot, i.e. large direction changes at very slow speeds.

The car has new upper and lower control arms, and I have new tie rods sitting in my garage. The clunk sound is very abrupt, and I can feel the "thunk" through the floorboard of the car. I do have Powerflex poly bushings, but I doubt this would be the issue.

Anybody familiar with what this could be? Steering linkage? Center tie rod?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bump.
I'm having a similar issue. Click that occurs once per direction, near full lock when turning.
Had an indy look at it this morning and he thinks its the idler arm. He installed new tie rod ends and center link on the car earlier this spring.

OP, did you ever get this resolved?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow.. im having the same experience on my E39 //M . A clunk while maneuvering the steering wheel at very low speed eg: at parking lots, exiting a narrow garage, etc. I can also hear similiar clunk when braking on a slope. So what was your problem ? and what did you do to solve it? thanks man! :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I've been told I have a shot ball joint on the OSF, and I get various rumbling and clunking at low speeds. It generally sounds like we all have loose something somewhere, and the one clunk per change of direction will be whatever is loose settling to 'that' side.

To even have a chance of checking for loose components, do the front wheels need to be unloaded? Mine was on ramps yesterday and couldn't find anything loose, but then the front suspension was loaded and would tighten stuff up I'm guessing. I know it's been said on here that even very bad thrust arms seem perfectly OK while on the car and boogered when removed.

Reactions: NCVU

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I have the exact same clunking noise from the right front suspension, upon large directional change at low speeds. With front wheels on ramps, I unbolted the sway bar bushings, so the sway bar can wiggle. Then I tugged and pushed the bar, I could feel and hear a click towards the right end link (but not the left, which is consistent with where the noise comes from).

I replaced sway bar bushings, brackets and endlink with genuine BMW parts, but the clunking is STILL THERE! WTF?! I also have new thrust arm bushings less than 1yr old. Combined with the above posts, we have eliminated just about every single component in the front end suspension. What else could it be?

I will swap my left and right end links to see if the noise switches side and rule out a defective part (it wouldn't be the first time I got bad parts from Tischer, so you never know). It is so frustrating when you can not get the car to run perfectly.

Reactions: TempeAZ_E60v10

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I swapped in yet another brand new genuine BMW end link, tightened the nuts with back breaking force, and still noticed the clunk. After further investigation, I was able to slightly rotate the thrust arm by twisting it. A light clunk noise seems to come from the ball joint end of the right thrust arm. In the video, ambient is quite noisy, the clunking is more noticeable after 1:35. How difficult is it to replace the thrust arm without air tools?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The noise ended up being the Powerflex washers moving around and rubbing against the sway bar bracket. I still haven't fixed it completely, but it almost seems to be a design problem with the bushing. Does anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most common problem is steering coupler rubber bushing.
It is where the steering wheel linkage attches to the rack. In most cases it will be visible if you remove the airbox on driver side. You will feel it in the steering wheel and possibly the floor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts