BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey-

At ver low speeds, like from 0-20mph, I am getting clunking noises from the front. When I reach faster speeds it disappears. I read this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/155682-clunk-front-end-3.html and I seem to be having some of the same issues, but doesn't seem to matter if the car is hot or cold.

A couple factors to consider...

1. I just put on some 17" winter wheels/tires. They fit good and didn't seem to have an issue when I put them on, but who knows.
2. I haven't driven the car in 3+ months as it's been in storage. Not sure what affect this could have, but thought I'd mention it.

Any ideas? Tie rods? Bushings? I'm thinking about just taking it in and having the dealer take a look to see what they find but thought I'd check here first. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Not enough information. Describe the sound as it relates to engine speed, wheel speed, turning, braking, hitting bumps, etc.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm well it seems to clunk or sound like something is rubbing or hitting something when going slow. It is worse when turning the wheel either way it seems. Going over bumps makes it worse as well.

Maybe something broke when I jacked the car up to put the new tires on? I jacked up each corner one by one so maybe that put stress on something? I'm obviously not a mechanic so doing the best I can.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
If it was silent before putting these wheels on, then it may simply be that the wheels don't fit (i.e. clear).

·
Registered
797 Posts
Put it up on jack stands, grab the wheel and anything connecting to it and tug in various directions. Let us know what moves, rattles, or clunks and what you did to cause it.

Look at anything rubber. Check for cracks, bulging spots, or tears.

Have someone turn the steering wheel and watch underneath for contact.

HTH

dj

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
probably sway bar end links. depending on the mileage (80-120k), it's quite likely that the wear components in the suspension are up for replacement.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well took it in to my local indy shop and they put it on the hoist and checked out all the stuff mentioned above and couldn't find anything wrong. We took it for a spin and of course the noise is gone! So typical. It is quite a bit colder today so maybe outside temp has something to do with it? Who knows. He tightened up some panels underneath and I'll just keep my ears open for it in case it happens again.

Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 2000 M5 with 102.000 miles. Drove me crazy because would only happen when warm out and after car warmed up for about 25-30 min. Local shop couldn't get it to happen and replaced tie rods anyway but it didn't help. Took it to the dealer when I couldn't take the noise anymore and they finally got it to make the noise and replaced the tie rod center link and has been fine since. Good luck.

·
Registered
935 Posts
going on a limb here but are you SURE its coming from the front? It is possible its something else. For me it was the rubber like bushings that sits above the cross member supporting the exhaust pipes in the middle of the car. GL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts