BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Clunk when changing gear AND now a rattle from rear end when i press the clutch in / coast (SOLVED) but need advice.

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  caslvre39 
#1 ·
Hi I have an E39 M5 2001 currently around 222000km since I bought the car from schmiedmann ive had nothing but issues with a certain clunk from the back, I notified schmiedmann about it they took a look and said it was the clutch... which surprised me as the noise comes clearly from the back. They said its not the original clutch because there's a supercharger on my car. Ive had another "good garage" look at it (they charge £100 an hour and I bought my E90 M3 from them, they exclusively sell sports cars and up from BMW to Ferrari etc) they said it was the bushes that was making the noise when I change gear (even though the noise comes when I floor it too) the bushes was upgraded to the (plastic?) ones and that is what is causing the noise when you change gear.. on the report they said for me to disengage the clutch slower.. like that is ever gonna happen. So im guessing either the rear CV joint needs replacing or its the diff, what are your thoughts and experience?

Also I just took my car for a little drive and now there is rattling from the rear of the car when I coast, it wasn't there earlier today. did I throw a bearing there too? >.< if I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Hopefully I can resolve the issues without going to the garage at £100 an hour, thanks before hand.

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey guys, had the car in to the same garage for the noise, and I refused to leave and stood next to them while they checked. It was the rear CV joint making all that noise, it had about 1 inch of play in it >.<

you guys know if its best to change the driveshaft support at the same time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.