BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Previous owner of my car had all the front suspension pieces mentioned above replaced and more chasing down the "clunk". After I got my car up here my mechanic found the real problem - the oil canister mount had broken and it would clunk against the wheel well. No more clunk. How simple is that!? :applause:

·
Registered
117 Posts
My view is based on my experiences, others' experiences and the symptoms you have mentioned, that all tie in.

I am not a mechanic though........but I am a very confident non mechanic !!
M5London is a very good non mechanic. I had the same clunking sound and symptoms he described in this thread. I had my tie rod ends replaced by my Indy this week. Ordered P/Ns as described by M5London above from Pelican Parts. Problem solved for less than $200 parts and labor plus car just feels/handles better. :wroom:

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Thanks for the update! I've been procrastinating, but my clunking has gotten so bad at the end of my daily commute, I can't stand it anymore. Off to the shop next week.

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had my indy replace the tie rod ends yesterday. It got rid of 60% of the "creaking" noise, but it still makes it when tapping on the brakes. Any suggestions on what else I canreplace to get rid of this annoying noise? Im thinking its some type of bushing thats worn...

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Thanks for the update! I've been procrastinating, but my clunking has gotten so bad at the end of my daily commute, I can't stand it anymore. Off to the shop next week.

Dave
Dave,

I too had a lot of clanks and clunks in my Dinan Stage 3 JRZ suspension which I've been chasing for years. I finally gave up on replacing those damn JRZ shocks and bit the bullet and installed a set of Ground Control coil-overs and voila, no more strange noises emanating from the suspension. Better still, the cornering and the ride have been dramatically improved. I highly recommend doing it.

--Ray

·
Registered
102 Posts
Front-end clunk

To add my experiences into the mix...

I had the world's most annoying front-end clunking noise for ages and ages, and no amount of prying nor wiggling any suspension or steering joint ever revealed anything seriously amiss, so at 125k miles I decided to refresh the lot anyway.

I replaced the thrust arms, control arms, roll bar drop links, tie rod ends, tie rod centre piece (aka drag link) and also the idler arm and its bush. I did it in a couple of stages and it turned out that it was one of the joints on the tie rod centre that was the guilty party.

Clunk gone and front end feels new. Worth it for that 'together' feeling and obviously for the end to the embarrassing noise that would turn pedestrians' heads.

·
Registered
215 Posts
is it always a clunk, as my front end has more of a tick tick noise from stationary to starting off - had passenger side wheel bearing replaced but sound seems to be coming from centre front

·
Registered
906 Posts
Replace all three, center, plus both ends

Just the tie rod ends or the center piece as well like M5 London suggested?

Anyone have the part number for everything I need?
All three per the doctor's (M5 London) prescription. In addition, I would suggest
replacing both thrust arms. Replace the entire assembly as a unit (arm, ball joint
and bushing. Purchasing them as a complete assembly is cheaper. You will breath
new life into the handling characteristics. Also replace the front stabilizer bushings
as well, since they have to disconnected for the thrust arm replacements.

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm digging up a 5 year old thread here, but this is good info. I have 2000 E39 that just hit 80k mile mark, and I think this post applies to me, but here's my particular issue/question. I have this clunking/creaking as described, coming from the front end. Difference is, mine ONLY happens within the first 2-3 minutes of starting the car, and goes away after a mile or two. Car is garage parked in Florida, so high temp is always in the equation. Front struts were replaced about 20k miles ago.

Could my issue be the same? Bushings and/or tie rods?

Thanks for helping!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts