BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was going to Glasgow and when I got off the M/way in slow traffic 10-20mph
I could hear a clunk coming from the front of my car :crying2:
Only seems to be at slow speeds and not brake related as still does it when brakes applyed or not.
Any ideas had a quick look today nothing seems to be hanging off :eek:oohhh:
Doesn't seem to matter if i'm turning or not either?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Drop links? Perhaps it's only audible at low speed, but occurring most of the time, had that before on an old Omega I had.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
2 x Stablizer Links for Anti Roll Bar 31351095664 (pk.2, 2 needed) x1 (£24.63) £29.56

That's from bmminiparts, and PN# is in there too.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Taken directly from M5_'s post, (therefore credit to Sam :))

I started with the anti roll bar bushes, brackets and drop links. Very easy job didn’t take long at all maybe 1 hour max and the ride felt harder. It felt as though the front end was harder sprung, roll was reduced rapidly, I could feel more of the bumps in the road and overall it felt more tied together. The roll bar bushes were very old, cracked and looked very perished.

Might be worth bobbing him a PM if no-one gets back, but doesn't sound a complex job to sort the lot of the AR bar connections :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers.
Is there anyway to check this before hand?
Is there a how to DIY as I couldn't find one.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Reactions: shamus_mcd

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to that link it could be a Tie rod end?

·
Registered
756 Posts
jack the wheels up and get someone to wiggle the roadwheels left to right and up and down while you are under having a gander at the various bushes links and arms, if something is properly gubbed you will see/hear play in the bushes/joints etc, its not foolproof as there are various parts under there that wont show up as faulty without significant load being put on them., i.e will look fine but will knock when driving.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
jonsmiff;2048241]jack the wheels up and get someone to wiggle the roadwheels left to right and up and down while you are under having a gander at the various bushes links and arms, if something is properly gubbed you will see/hear play in the bushes/joints etc, its not foolproof as there are various parts under there that wont show up as faulty without significant load being put on them., i.e will look fine but will knock when driving.

I was told it could be centre tie rod as it only does it when car is warm.
On my way back from ireland to leeds with work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.