BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a click/clunk from the left side of what sounds like the dash whenever I go over certain bumps or if I swiftly turn the wheel, particularly if I load the left suspension.

At first I was convinced it was some dash related rattle or something but the longer this goes on the more I believe it could be a suspension related problem. It definitely does sound like it's coming from within the dash, but you never know.

I've also developed a brake shimmy but I believe that this is a separate issue because my front rotors are pretty worn and probably in need of replacement. HOWEVER, the two issues could be related.

Any bushings or other things I should check out?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
First guess would be the lower thrust arm bushings. If your car has over 70k miles on originals and you do not track the car, they are probably wasted.

These also cause a problem with shimmy under hard braking as well.

A few options for the bushings, replace with OEM, replace with X5 bushings, urethane or just replace the entire lower thrust arm.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at 80k miles, I would think my thrust arms are definitely in need of replacement and that would explain the shutter that I've developed. In order to solve the pop, I'm not a huge fan of replacing every bushing under the front end just for the sake of it at 80k miles, that'd be a lot of money. I guess I'll start inspecting bushings when I do the thrust arm.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It definitely does sound like it's coming from within the dash, but you never know.

I've also developed a brake shimmy but I believe that this is a separate issue because my front rotors are pretty worn and probably in need

Long shot on the noise... check the oil filter and power steering housing mounts.. both have rubber mounts that often wear out and or shear off completly allowing the res. to clank against the inner fender which is decently close to the dash on the drivers side.

the brake shimmy - mentioned above - thrust arm bushings.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Long shot on the noise... check the oil filter and power steering housing mounts.. both have rubber mounts that often wear out and or shear off completly allowing the res. to clank against the inner fender which is decently close to the dash on the drivers side.
Long shot, but you were 100% correct! Replaced the power steering mounts, reservoir, and lines as standard maintenance and the noise is completely gone. The old mounts were severly cracked and the reservoir was banging around against the fender. Thank you!

84 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. I purposely approach the speed bumb as far right as possible to avoid my right wheel getting the bump too. If i'm really flyin' I'll flick the steering wheel to the left on purpose (if no other cars are around). Try this at your own risk and not in a car with a high center of gravity (i.e. Dodge Sprinter).

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
"Replaced the power steering mounts, resevoir, and lines as standard maintenance and the noise is completely gone."

Fix was found :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, it just came up. I had my new suspension installed a week ago with no issues or problems, but starting today when I drive over rough/bumpy surfaces I've been hearing increasing rear clunking sounds from the passenger side. Could it be a strut mount has loosened up or the problem maybe somewhere else in that area. I'm going to get it checked out this week by the shop that installed the suspenion, but I wanted to get some thoughts here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts