BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

I'm proud to present you the latest AMSTV Test CLS55 AMG vs. M5

(When you hear M5 lost, don't forget AMS belongs to Motorpresse Stuttgart! It's the same like the Magazine test...)

http://privat.birklehof.org/~loeffler.a/m5vscls55_amstv.wmv

Indeed, the test is very bad, The criterias are just so stupid...
but nice pictures of M5 cornering on the track & around the cones!

vidload, can you host high-quality version?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've just downloaded the video,

But could you give a brief of what the driver said, as i can't understand German :sad3:
thanks !

:M5launch:

·
Registered
457 Posts
The M5 lost because of an "uncompromising" hard suspension that on the one hand makes you better feel the road and on the other hand is less comfortable. The CLS 55 wins since he is more "well-balanced", hence not so sporty. Why do they hold comfort in higher esteem? That's a matter of opinion, not to say preposterous!:nono:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Autobahnraser said:
The M5 lost because of an "uncompromising" hard suspension that on the one hand makes you better feel the road and on the other hand is less comfortable. The CLS 55 wins since he is more "well-balanced", hence not so sporty. Why do they hold comfort in higher esteem? That's a matter of opinion not to say preposterous!:nono:
as is said, the test is NOT INDEPENDANT

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks for the video! It was nice watching the cars drifting and accelerating hard but I have to say the out come of the test is just stupid.

Maybe it´s really not independent :hihi:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
very nice video,, have anyone noticed the m5 is abit ahead from the start.. wish they showed us a side shot of the race :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Bonte said:
indeed, better than I expected :cool2:
Yes. I like their four door coupé concept a lot. It's the same as with the new BMW's, it takes a while to get used to it, and once you've got used to it you grow to like it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Didn't understand what they said.

But the two cars are as usual, catering for different buyers in that segment. M5 - driver oriented, CLS - luxury oriented, and hence their key conclusions on handling and comfort etc. Not really surprising. Nice to see the M5 blasts away at the 0 - 200km/h.

I still think the CLS55 is essentially the E55 in a new cut suit, with S class pricing. You end up paying for Benz's "4 door coupe concept" if you buy into it. I don't.

·
Registered
336 Posts
M6 Forever said:
Didn't understand what they said.

But the two cars are as usual, catering for different buyers in that segment. M5 - driver oriented, CLS - luxury oriented, and hence their key conclusions on handling and comfort etc. Not really surprising. Nice to see the M5 blasts away at the 0 - 200km/h.

I still think the CLS55 is essentially the E55 in a new cut suit, with S class pricing. You end up paying for Benz's "4 door coupe concept" if you buy into it. I don't.
Good points. I've always said the two camps are doing very well catering to their respective markets (that's not to say I wouldn't mind a little more "sport" in the E55 ;) ).

I also thought the CLS was just a "dressed" up E55 (an ugly one at that), but unfortunately for me, LOL it seems that MB has finally addressed some of the steering/feel issues that have plagued AMG vehicles in the past and have made it a bit more responsive. Here's hoping I can do a retro-fit of the steering system!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think E55 looks much better than CLS55... I don' t know but I just can't get used to this four-door coupe'..... I also like the interior of E55 better than CLS55, CLS55 looks so old like my grandpa's car.....Nowadays, consumers are far smarter than they could imagine. It is totally an E-class. Sportier?? Well, they'll have to describe it that way or otherwise who wants to buy an E with S price-tag....At least spend some time to make it trickier like C to CLK,okay!!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
The m5 did look rather good going round those corners though...

all the best
adam

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The CLS is ugly in silver too. It wallows a lot more on the slalom and is clearly behind the M5 in performance.

It's been said before, if you want a driver's car it has to be the M5. If you want a car that drives you (auto box, sofa ride) it's the Mercedes.

:flag:

Thanks for the video Max :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
It is a legitimate criticism for a luxury four-door sedan to have an "uncompromising hard ride." The flexibility to go between a softer and performance suspension is one of the ostensible selling points of EDC. I wonder if EDC essentially failed this or the reviewer has a too strong bias for MB and/or comfort.

It also sounds like the SMG still has a ways to go before it approaches an auto (or a well-driven manual) in terms of smoothness when desired. I would think this would be purely a function of software, unless it does not have the requisite inputs (sensors) to achieve this. This is an area where BMW should continue to heavily invest as we occasionally need to make our wives happy.

Tom

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
RE: SMG... especially if it is being forced on us with no other choice. It definately needs to be smooth in a car like the M5. Of course, as pointed out, the reviewers are very MB focused, so it could have been just another item to ding the BMW on.

RE: Looks... I am not a fan of the E55, but I do like the E55 much more than the CLS...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts