BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
CLS rides better, more usable torque for daily driving, easier to mod to provide great 0-100mph acceleration.

5 speed gearbox is a limiting factor and really hurts the top end. Doesn't handle the greatest.

M5 is more "race-car-like." The V10 needs to be revved up to get the most out of it, but the 7 speed SMG helps take advantage of its top end power. Acceleration to 100mph is quick, but that's not the M5's forte. The M5's territory is 100mph+. A stock M5 will likely pull even modded CLS 55 after 100mph. You can see in this video a stock M6 beats a modded E55, which is similar to a CLS 55 in straight-line performance.

YouTube - m6board.com presents: Kleeman K4 MB E55 AMG 640 HP vs BMW M6

The M5 also handles better than the CLS does.

On the other hand, the race-car-like qualities also hurt the M5 for daily driving. Ride is not as smooth, transmission is not the best at low speeds (granted, there is a learning curve, once you get used to the transmission it's not as bad, but initial impressions the SMG will seem like a jerky POS compared to the CLS's smooth slushbox) - however, you will appreciate the SMG during the times you drive the car the way it's meant to be driven.

Reactions: shchow

·
Registered
162 Posts
We drive both (kinda). I drive an E55 AMG as my daily driver, and my girlfriend drives an M5 as her daily driver. They are two completely different cars. In our experiance, the E55 is a little more fun around town with its low end TQ. In everyday driving, I don't normaly reach 100mph driving around town. But if your looking to rip around town, rev high, cut the corners hard, do high-speed runs, the M5 is that car. The M5 seems pretty tame just driving around town.

And as for that video of the stock M6 vs. E55. Something is not right. We race the E55 vs M5 ALL the time. The E55 is lightly modded and the M5 all stock (not for long). The M5 has not won yet. We even switch cars all the time, and the finish is always the same :dunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told that the cls 55 was 7 speed. I do 90% city driving so it sounds like the cls might be the way to go. Is there a big diffence in the cls 55 and 63 any reason to go for the 63 over the 55. Thanks so much guys for the help

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was told that the cls 55 was 7 speed. I do 90% city driving so it sounds like the cls might be the way to go. Is there a big diffence in the cls 55 and 63 any reason to go for the 63 over the 55. Thanks so much guys for the help
I prefer the 55 motor over the 63. I test drove both before I bought the E55, and the 55 TQ is just intoxicating. The 63 motor is one of the best sounding motors I have ever heard, just not as "torquey" The only plus for the E63 over the E55 was the little upgrades that came with the newer years (facelift, wheels..) I don't think there is any difference other than the motor between the CLS55 and CLS63 AMG.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
We drive both (kinda). I drive an E55 AMG as my daily driver, and my girlfriend drives an M5 as her daily driver. They are two completely different cars. In our experiance, the E55 is a little more fun around town with its low end TQ. In everyday driving, I don't normaly reach 100mph driving around town. But if your looking to rip around town, rev high, cut the corners hard, do high-speed runs, the M5 is that car. The M5 seems pretty tame just driving around town.

And as for that video of the stock M6 vs. E55. Something is not right. We race the E55 vs M5 ALL the time. The E55 is lightly modded and the M5 all stock (not for long). The M5 has not won yet. We even switch cars all the time, and the finish is always the same :dunno:

Doing a 11.2 sek run isn´t a lightly mod and FYI, that E55 was driven by Kleemann people themselves and they didn´t mention anything beeing wrong. I would think that they don´t run the power Kleemann is claiming, but more power then stock is for sure.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I had a CLS55 for about 6 months and loved the styling and torque curve, but handling was mushy and it didn't feel very sporty. Also heat soak was an issue on hot days. More of a luxo barge than anything. I'll have one in my stable when I turn 60.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Doing a 11.2 sek run isn´t a lightly mod and FYI, that E55 was driven by Kleemann people themselves and they didn´t mention anything beeing wrong. I would think that they don´t run the power Kleemann is claiming, but more power then stock is for sure.
lol, yes I am just "lighty modded" I have a tune and a couple bolt on mods, that all.

And I still stand by what I said...from ALL of MY experiences at least...

Reactions: sattman

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have both a 03 SL55 AMG and an 06 BMW M5. Like the CLS55, the SL55 has the exact same motor and transmission (5 speed auto and Supercharged V8). It is great for driving around town with the down low torque and awesome for doing short sprints/stoplight to stoplight runs. It's also very easy to drive since it's an automatic and the ride is smoother and more refined than the M5. Straightline performance wise, the SL and CLS are also quite similar I would say. Unfortunately, the SL is also not as fun to drive in my opinion due to those factors of not being able to handle as well and the character of the vehicle itself.

Now the M5 on the other hand is more of a sports race car in sedan form. High revving, SMG, and the handling are amazing. I love it and still keep it. Straightline wise, the M5 will pull after 105 mph. BOTH are different vehicles so do yourself a favor and test drive both before making any purchases. I have both as they're different and great on different days. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Awesome!! I really think you will enjoy your CLS55. For everyday driving, and just driving around town, its the perfect blend of Performance and Comfort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking at an 07-08 e63, 06 CLS55, and 06 M5 myself. Haven't driven the CLS55 yet, though E63 is a beast. Leaning towards the M5 or E at this point. Has anyone in this thread drivn a Merc with the 030 performance package?

" ... was told that the cls 55 was 7 speed. I do 90% city driving so it sounds like the cls might be the way to go. Is there a big diffence in the cls 55 and 63 any reason to go for the 63 over the 55. Thanks so much guys for the help<!-- google_ad_section_end --> "

The 55 cars are all 5 speed. The 63 cars are all 7 spd, has a shorter 1st gear and shifts faster, if memory serves. Appears to be a much better transmission all the way around than the 55 tranny. Also, as some one else mentioned the 63 does sound fantastic.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Looking at an 07-08 e63, 06 CLS55, and 06 M5 myself. Haven't driven the CLS55 yet, though E63 is a beast. Leaning towards the M5 or E at this point. Has anyone in this thread drivn a Merc with the 030 performance package?

" ... was told that the cls 55 was 7 speed. I do 90% city driving so it sounds like the cls might be the way to go. Is there a big diffence in the cls 55 and 63 any reason to go for the 63 over the 55. Thanks so much guys for the help<!-- google_ad_section_end --> "

The 55 cars are all 5 speed. The 63 cars are all 7 spd, has a shorter 1st gear and shifts faster, if memory serves. Appears to be a much better transmission all the way around than the 55 tranny. Also, as some one else mentioned the 63 does sound fantastic.
If you go with a Merc, do the 63 series - as mentioned, 7 speeds, no supercharger (heat soak sucks).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dexter, yes heat soak does SUCK.

But nothing a heat exchanger wont take care of...:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I traded my E55 AMG/CK 55 RS for the M5 last week. The MB was a Carlsson modified car, which had among all 580 bhp and close to 800 NM torque.

Reasons why I changed were basically twofold:
- Had a lot of issues with the car. Always something that broke.
- Hated the chassis/airmatic. Very sloppy feel - and furthermore major issues with the car "falling down" during cold days (talking > -20 degrees C) and with some load in it.
In short I felt that it was not a car for an "active driver".

I did however LOVE the torque and smooth ride (on a straigth road).

So I guess it's up to you what sort of driver you are. Active and passion for control = M5. Nice (and fast) easy going = AMG.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So you went from a W211 E55 AMG to an E39 M5???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts