BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thought I would introduce myself as I'm hopefully almost an M5 owner, and also have some questions regarding a car that I'm looking at. I have a '97 M3 as my daily driver and an NSX that is largely a summer weekend car. Thought I would finally trade up and eventually sell the M3.

The car that I'm looking at is a 2002, Titanium Silver with about 60k miles and still under CPO warranty until May of this year. Condition is not perfect, but very close and likely above average for an '02 with 60k miles. The current owner bought the car out of state 2.5 years ago for $38k and had 50k miles. He is now asking $29k. Seems as though he maintained the car well during his 2.5yr ownership, despite the fact that he only added 10k miles. I obviously cannot speak to the prior 50k miles.

Rear tires will likely need to be replaced soon and I still need to confirm if the service II has been performed. Other than that, he took it to the local BMW dealer last week for an SES light (purge valve). They replaced it and also did a PPI that was clean.

I'd love to get some thoughts on the car, whether folks think 60k miles is too high to start with and whether the $29k asking seems fair. I realize that one can probably purchase out of state or from a smaller (auction) dealer at a discount, but I value the private party history. Also seems as though M5s (and other high-end cars) are staying on the market longer and often being sold at decent discounts recently.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
David

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
It's in the ballpark. I got mine with 59k for 27, and it's a 2000 model. I'd say 28 for a 2002 is excellent, especially considering that it has the newer radio, the screen, and maybe even the nav computer (compared to mine, that is).

Too high mileage to start with? I wouuld have to strongly disagree. I wouldve liked to get a lower mileage car, but i can't tell this car's age when driving it. Based on my driving habit, I wouldnt be surprised if I make it well past 150k miles (given that the engine doesnt blow up or something equally catastrophic).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts