BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe I'm in the wrong place here... being that our car is not an M5 :sad1: ... but being that M5's are (rightfully) very expensive here in New Zealand, this is the best we could achieve with our limited funds. I tried uploading photo's in my gallary, but nothing showed. Hope I won't get into trouble for posting here :confused3 .

So this is our car:
1988 E34 535i,
Zinno Red,
E.A.T. Performance Chip,
Natural Tan Leather,
MOMO Steering wheel,
CD/DVD/Mp3/Radio/TV-tuner Headunit + 2 Sunvisor 8" tft Monitors,
Blackout Window tints,
Racing Dynamic Front spoiler + Driving lamps,
NZ Made Rear boot/trunk Spoiler with LED Stoplamp,
Racing Dynamic 7"x 235/45/17 Front
Racing Dynamic 8"x 255/40/17 Rear

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
saintlucifa said:
Ok, maybe I'm in the wrong place here... being that our car is not an M5 :sad1: ... but being that M5's are (rightfully) very expensive here in New Zealand, this is the best we could achieve with our limited funds. I tried uploading photo's in my gallary, but nothing showed. Hope I won't get into trouble for posting here :confused3 .

So this is our car:
1988 E34 535i,
Zinno Red,
E.A.T. Performance Chip,
Natural Tan Leather,
MOMO Steering wheel,
CD/DVD/Mp3/Radio/TV-tuner Headunit + 2 Sunvisor 8" tft Monitors,
Blackout Window tints,
Racing Dynamic Front spoiler + Driving lamps,
NZ Made Rear boot/trunk Spoiler with LED Stoplamp,
Racing Dynamic 7"x 235/45/17 Front
Racing Dynamic 8"x 255/40/17 Rear
Looks a real nice car. Welcome!

Don't know if Ivan would approve of the colour though LOL

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Car looks nice. The Racing Dynamics front spoiler isn't too over top. Also is that a trailor hitch on the back? You didn't list it but the exhaust is also aftermarket.
As far as you not being able to buy a M5 it's probably better not to stretch to buy one as many board members can attest that it isn't cheap to keep running. I've been really lucky but the few times I have had work done it's been expensive. Sometimes I think the M stands for Money needed to keep it in good running shape. Speaking of "M" that's the only thing I don't care for on your car (the badges). But then again each to their own.
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well I agree with the above. Love the colour (Well I would - see the "view my car thingy" for my first M5, now deceased) and it looks to be kept in great shape.
Not fussed about the rear badging though!!
It has got to be one or the other. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Here's me thinking someone had found a humidor kit for the rear arm rest - DOH!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Nice car.

Much redder paint than my sun-faded pink jigsaw puzzle!!

Ivan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow... replies. Thanks for the compliments. Where to start...

...I bought the car believing it to be a 535i Motorsport, as that was the closest I could get to buying a genuine M5. The badgework appeared to be genuine and at the time I gathered that the alloys, front and rear spoiler and the stiffer ride were evident enough for me to accept that it was indeed a Motorsport. So I bought it. Although I was looking for a manual (5spd) version because I simply hate auto's). There weren’t many 5 series BMW's for sale at the time.

So, believing that it was a 535i Motorsport, I carried on with the theme by throwing on some M-Tech seatbelt covers and side guard badges. However, the more I try not to learn that my baby is not genuine, the more I read and hear, suggesting that it is a fake Motorsport ?????? . What to do? Backtrack and remove all the badges? Groovy seatbelt covers? I'm trying not to be disheartened. I suppose that I will end up taking the badge work off.

I really like the car, even though it is automatic. Considering it's age, people always seem to appreciate the car. Tinted windows are great too, as it insures that people appreciate/judge the car, and not the driver... as well as not give me some sort of "BMW Driver" label.

Future plans? Only superficial and removable mods I think. Perhaps one day I'll afford and find a real M5 and I'll transfer the goodies over.

Off I go to trawl this site some more... read and learn (umm err and spend some hours looking at members M5's) Thanks for the replies.

ps: I did some research on the Racing Dynamic parts some time ago... and found both the front spoiler and the alloy wheels in their catalog as well as a pic of a Racing Dynamics Touring in the same colour. (Touring - Didn't even know they made the M5 Touring let alone with 6speed...OMG I want one !!!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
grrrrrrr BLOWN HEAD GASKET :crying:
Second time within a month. My guess is that the first repairer didn't do his job right. Head was crack tested and plained. Genuine BMW gasket set used. New water pump, new radiator too. I'm not convinced that the thermostat was replaced though. I can't take the car back to the repaired because, although a certified mechanic, the problem is that it was paid for indirectly by services rendered (I did some work for the guys brother, the brother paid me by way of having the HG job done). And the job was done 350km away from here. So, I'm one unhappy chapper. And all this just after I registered the car for a year, got a new WOF (warrant of fitness), bought and fitted dvd/cd/mp3/radio/tv-tuner headunit and two sunvisor monitors, and have on the way a set of Euro Tail lights from USA... Arrrghhh... spent all my money. So can't afford to get a new HG job done. I feel so sorry for me !!!ouich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back again. I now have a new full headgasket set. The head is about to come off again, get pressure/crack tested and plained again if need be. The water pump was replaced with the hg job a month or so ago (and it looks new too) so I won't replace that. The radiator is a brand new alloy job (NZ$400) which was also replaced about 5 weeks ago. I will buy a new thermostat (because I can't be sure that it was replaced with the last job).

I have two questions I need help with:

1) What is the safest and best way to remove all the gunk/sludge/milk from the block/engine/cooling-system/heating-system?

2) For the week preceeding the hg blowing, the top-end (rockers/tappets) started to get very noisey indeed. So much so that the car sounded like a piece of crap, instead of the nice smooth engine sound and nice exhaust note I was used to. Is it likely that doing this hg job alone, with new oil/water/antifreeze will quieten the engine back to normal? Or will I have to do some extra work to achieve this?

m5board.com members help would be much appreciated in this, my hour of need.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
saintlucifa said:
2) For the week preceeding the hg blowing, the top-end (rockers/tappets) started to get very noisey indeed. So much so that the car sounded like a piece of crap, instead of the nice smooth engine sound and nice exhaust note I was used to. Is it likely that doing this hg job alone, with new oil/water/antifreeze will quieten the engine back to normal? Or will I have to do some extra work to achieve this?
If that's the case it sounds like head is cracked between the water and oil-galleries, and the water in the oil has ruined your camshaft and tappets......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts