BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how does everyone feel about these seats. The concept is great but I find the A/C function to be absolutely worthless. the only time that I can even tell if they are on (besides hearing the fan) is when I get in the car after the gym and am a bit sweaty. other than that they dont seem to work for sh*t.

thoughts?

·
Registered
376 Posts
You can feel them when you walk out of the house get in and go, but when you are hot/sweaty they make the seats not hot and that's about it. I do like them but understand what your saying, they are no where near the hot you get when the seats are on. Then again I don't know if you would want them that cold.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have them and find them weak, but not totally useless... I can feel them if I'm wearing thin clothing... like a silk suit, or if I'm kind of sweaty.

I think they're best utilized and noticed on longer road trips. My back and butt don't get that heat build up you can get without the ventilation.

I believe someone on this board in the early days of the E60 M5 said, "I don't get swamp ***." lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like the function and think it works OK, but it wasn't offered on Portland Brown and there was no way for me to do any other color just because of ventilated seats. While I agree with you in terms of you don't know it's there unless you listen closely to the fan noise, Scott makes a great point, on longer trips or especially hot days, it does make a big difference. I tried ventilated seats when I was in the Middle East on a 545 and an LS460 and really appreciated the feature on days of 115+ temperatures.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hmmm....I've never tried them....but my buddy has them on his pimped out Ford Excursion and they pump out cool air....I could totally feel it......you would have thought BMW would have done better than that....

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
yeah, my wife's Infiniti has ice cold seats when turned on. BMW and MB don't seem to offer truly cooled seats. They're just "ventilated". My E55's seats were no better at cooling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You know after cooling my buns in my wife's Expedition, I assumed my ventilated seats would really cool me down. In fact, I took it to the dealer because I thought my seats were broke.

Their response was the seats were working as designed. They only move the current air temp around up through the seats. So if the air temp in the car is hot, the seats will blow hot air on my buns. Bummer...

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
They are awesome...we had a similar discussion a year ago love em the only bad thing about them is that you can't hide a fart in them....they vent out !!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think they are great, but could be stronger compared to other vented seats I've tried. For example, my last 745Li seemed to have a stronger fan. I had an SL55 and those could barely be felt.

If you live in an area of high humidity, they are a must! During the summer months, you'll wish you got them if you didn't.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Vented seats are great

I thought they were useless until a few days back. It's now 100degrees here and I can take a long journey and when I get out the car my back is totally dry. If I just have the a/c on then my back gets al sweaty. However, I don't see the point of three fan speeds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wish I had got them with my car. In hot temps my back gets sweaty and the vents would help keep it dry. I dont much care for the cooling effect but the vents would definatley dry things up a little.

Next time definately.

·
Registered
513 Posts
They are awesome...we had a similar discussion a year ago love em the only bad thing about them is that you can't hide a fart in them....they vent out !!!!

:1:You have a point there.... :pedro:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They only move the current air temp around up through the seats. So if the air temp in the car is hot, the seats will blow hot air on my buns.
ohhhh. I didnt know that they only recirculate cabin air. Now I know to let the car cool off on the inside before turning them on. I guess thats why they call them "ventilated" and not "air conditioned." makes sense now...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wish the M6's had it as an option, especially the convertibles! 92 degrees here today, would have been a nice little feature to have :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts