BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had a few posts lately, so sorry for that (can't help but use the excellent resource that you guys are :biggrin: ). I was looking into upgrading my angel eyes, and I saw these bulbs that are coated so that we don't have to see the ugly amber bulbs under the clear turn indicator housings. I did a search, but I don't see anyone specifically mentioning which bulbs they got (where, opposite or offset pin). Also, do the side and rear take the same bulb? I really think the clear look in the back looks great. I am just afraid of getting check light warnings, and I don't want to have to ship these in from England.

CA: Silvered Indicator Bulbs, Opposite Pin

Also, on the subject of clear lighting, I read in a post from several years back that one could open the light housing on the OEM Hella front lights and use a heat gun to get the amber corner to pop off. Then one could just replace the reflector. Is this just a fantasy?

Thank you all, again.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Contact a member of the Board: [email protected]. He owns an E39 M5 and works for JLevi. They are a vendor on the Board. They can provide you with the silver colored turn signal bulbs.

With regards to the turn signal question, on the newer headlights (01-03) forget about it. If you want the true Euro/Clear corner look, you will have to look at purchasing a new set of lights.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Hi all,

I've had a few posts lately, so sorry for that (can't help but use the excellent resource that you guys are :biggrin: ). I was looking into upgrading my angel eyes, and I saw these bulbs that are coated so that we don't have to see the ugly amber bulbs under the clear turn indicator housings. I did a search, but I don't see anyone specifically mentioning which bulbs they got (where, opposite or offset pin). Also, do the side and rear take the same bulb? I really think the clear look in the back looks great. I am just afraid of getting check light warnings, and I don't want to have to ship these in from England.

CA: Silvered Indicator Bulbs, Opposite Pin

Also, on the subject of clear lighting, I read in a post from several years back that one could open the light housing on the OEM Hella front lights and use a heat gun to get the amber corner to pop off. Then one could just replace the reflector. Is this just a fantasy?

Thank you all, again.
In order to get rid of your amber reflector, you'll have to upgrade your headlamps. I've seen examples of people taking out the reflector and painting it and the end result was rather poor looking and it was quite involved (baking headlamps). Also the 2003 MY headlamps are sealed and even baking them won't open them up (it's not impossible, but you'll damage your headlamps doing so.)

For an upgrade on the angel eyes, I suggest taking a look at our WeissLicht V2(passenger side).

Our Solaris Invisibulbs are a good option if you want to get rid of the "egg yolk" effect but it's not going to be as bright during the day. I'd say it's about 75-80% as bright as regular amber bulbs. Our LED V3 bulbs are an option too, but you'll have to wire in resistors.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Thank you all, again.
It is possible to follow that procedure and get the amber's out. In fact I did it a while back and I painted my amber's black to match my car. I posted a thread about it and got rather negative feedback, but I'm happy with the finished look. That being said I do have a jet black beast which is probably the only color which one could get away with doing it that way. I've seen some others who did it with other colors and it wasn't that great.

One interesting point that was brought up in my thread way to buy a cheap set of clear cornered headlights off ebay, then swap the clear corners from them with the factory amber ones. I thought this was a pretty cool idea, but i haven't pulled the trigger on it because I'm satisfied with the way mine are and of course because I was hoping someone else, you perhaps?, would go for it first.

Something like this is what I'm talking about 96~99 BMW E39 Black Head Light Frame w/ Clear Corner: eBay Motors (item 140468154334 end time Nov-19-10 02:25:44 PST)

I wouldn't worry about it not fitting the M5 as long as you can open them, since the corner piece is the only on that matters.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I don't like amber either, but not worth buying a new of headlights. I just put silverstar turn bulbs in the front, which reduces the amber. I like the blue, especially on Le Mans.

Or should I say I had my wife do it. The M5 engine bay is awfully cramped, and I couldn't get my fat hands way back in the corners. Of course I told her she'd get credit. Thanks baby!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
As a marker for the UK guys, I used two pairs of these, one pair for the front and another pair for the rear. Good fit, and Philips, so should last. Good clear amber colour when flashing, and no amber at all when off. All good then :)

Bulbs: BMW / 5 SERIES SALOON HID XENON / 2001 (Y)

Reactions: M5 London

·
Registered
919 Posts
Good to know. I like the blue tint, and just to be clear (pun intended), the Silverstars flash amber.

BTW, I buy from PowerBulbs to make sure I'm getting the real Euro Osram stuff. :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts