BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the deal with the clear rear lenses, I noticed that a few owners had them on their cars on here.

I fancied getting a set, but I've heard/read that they are not suitable for the M5, I would have thought however that the wiring for the rear lights would have been the same as for the other models.

What was mentioned was that the Check Control will not work properly, if fitted to an M5.

Comments from owners with these fitted would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
564 Posts
plisken said:
Whats the deal with the clear rear lenses, I noticed that a few owners had them on their cars on here.

I fancied getting a set, but I've heard/read that they are not suitable for the M5, I would have thought however that the wiring for the rear lights would have been the same as for the other models.

What was mentioned was that the Check Control will not work properly, if fitted to an M5.

I've had these clear lights on my M5 for at least a year now and have'nt had any problems

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wane Ramsay said:
I've had these clear lights on my M5 for at least a year now and have'nt had any problems
Me Too :blabla:

they look better IMO and give the car a less dated look :eek:

No wiring changes just remove the old and plug in the new :byee55amg

Still got the origs so no probs with prospective buyers

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Steve Mac said:
Me Too :blabla:

they look better IMO and give the car a less dated look :eek:

No wiring changes just remove the old and plug in the new :byee55amg

Still got the origs so no probs with prospective buyers
Where did you guys get your then?

O and I assume, I'll need coloured indicator lamps all round, are these easily available?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have them on my car for a few months, got them from Bavarian motorsport. They look better than the orange as my car is red and the colors do not clash and the overall look is cleaner. I also have the front clear lenses as well as the clear side markers.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Haim Toeg said:
I have them on my car for a few months, got them from Bavarian motorsport. They look better than the orange as my car is red and the colors do not clash and the overall look is cleaner. I also have the front clear lenses as well as the clear side markers.
Could you post some pics of your car?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the rear lenses with the clear indicators too. Mine are made by the original equipment supplier - Hella. Funnily enough my father in law works for Hella so I got them 'cheap' (i.e. Free).

I have clear side repeaters and clear front corners too.

These lights benefit from the silver bulbs - especially the rears. If you use the orange bulbs that are supplied they show through the clear lens and give the undesirable 'fried egg' look.

·
Registered
678 Posts
plisken said:

Plisken,

Being a bit of an eBay fiend, I got a set of clear front and rear lenses about a year back.

Click on 'see my car' for more pictures from the Dyno Day back in January '03.

Makes the effect even better if you use silver bulbs - I got some from PowerBulbs (www.powerbulbs.com) - Philips Silvervision - which stop the fried-egg effect referred to in the previous post above.

V Nice !

(Haven't found a decent set of clear side-repeaters yet, tho' !)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ste said:
Some rears for sale here .

Be careful they may go for higher than RRP... well worth a watch though.
I had noticed this set, and will key an eye or two on them...

I thought about £90 for the pair was normal RRP, might be wrong there though.

I think I would prefer the look of the smoked lenses
:cool2:

FinalEditionE34M5 You mention silver bulbs, I'm assuming they still light up amber/orange ouich

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Terry
You can get the clear side markers from the dealer-at least you get the 'original' look. L/side 82-19-9-404-387 R/side 82-19-9-404-388.

The fronts and rears are available from the dealer as well:
L/front 82-19-9-404-275
R/front 82-19-9-404-276

L/rear (sedan only) 82-19-9-404-278
R/rear (sedan only) 82-19-9-404-281
regards
Alan Yeung

1 - 18 of 18 Posts