BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask the experts... I have a couple of spots on hood and trunk lid where clear coat is gone...Any way to repair this or just strip and repaint?

Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Post a pic or two. Most likely, it needs to be sanded, primed, painted and cleared. The issue is most likely separation from the base layer due to abrasion or sun exposure. I the clear coat is gone, you cant do anything.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
once the clear coat is burned, its burned.As mentioned above sand, prime, paint, clear

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Thanks... Anyone had their car repainted? What would I be looking at for new paint on entire car? $3000.00?
I would imagine it would be at least double that for a factory-quality respray. A good shop can match the paint on the remaining panels and just respray the damaged panels. I choose not to remember exactly what I paid for my front end respray (front bumper, hood and fenders), but it was at least $2,000 just for that. I went with an extremely high quality shop though and the paint looks factory new, so you may be able to find someone cheaper, but you definitely don't want to go too cheap on a respray...a sub-standard job will tarnish your entire car.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
It all depends on the shop you use and the care, prep, and finishing steps they take on cars they paint.

I have had my entire car resprayed for $3k. The shop wet sands and knocks down the clear so it does not have orange peel like factory finish does (prior to any detailing). Shop around and find out who does good quality work. If it costs a lot for a full respray, have then handle the trunk alone. A good match will not be noticeable back there as a hood or door would. would. Most of the painted surface is facing up, in a different direction than the surrounding panels so the reflection difference wont be noticeable. But if all your upward facing pieces have clear coat issues, its best to have it taken care of with fresh clear. If there is no damage to the base coat, theres no real reason to have it repainted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts