BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a nice method for cleaning the tri-color stitching on the M5 steering wheel. After 59k miles, my '02 M5 stitching was looking rather grubby. Decided to try some of that carpet spot cleaner that comes in the little aerosol cans. The ones that the carpet cleaners leave when they clean the carpet at your house. I think Chem-dry does our carpet every few months and we had a bunch of those little cans.

Anyway, sprayed it on and wiped/rubbed with a paper towel. After a couple applications, the stitching looks brand new!

Just thought I'd pass along a cool tip. :cheers:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
PICS

I tried some liquid soap on mine and it improved. I still think it has some more to go, though. Hmmmm

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Clothes detergent work the best. use a small tooth brush and the change is night and day:cheers:
clothes detergent?
do you mean liquid washingsoap??like the stuff they trow in the washingmachine??:hihi:

sorry,just ask it to be sure :haha:
going to try that one otherwise.

thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Any fading or deterioration on the leather steering wheel with either technique?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
just tryed the washing maschine liquid soap... it works pretty good :hihi::hihi:

iff you like i can post a cell pic in 5 min :M5thumbs:

be right back

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
just tryed the washing maschine liquid soap... it works pretty good :hihi::hihi:

iff you like i can post a cell pic in 5 min :M5thumbs:

be right back

here are some cell phone pics..

i just tryed it for 15 sec maybe so dont be to critical:hihi: its 4 am overhere you knowhmmm

i know what to do now tommorow.:hihi::hihi:

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have used the BMW leather cleaner with good results, would be a bit wary of using anything as aggressive as carpet cleaner.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most automotive carpet is nylon, why would cleaning nylon stitching with carpet spot cleaner cause harm?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Most automotive carpet is nylon, why would cleaning nylon stitching with carpet spot cleaner cause harm?
Because 1) the stitching is made of natural fibre (IIRC) and 2) you will invariably be applying some of the cleaner to actual leather on the steering wheel.

Anyway, if it works for you fine, just pointing out that it less aggressive products could give the same result.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because 1) the stitching is made of natural fibre (IIRC) and 2) you will invariably be applying some of the cleaner to actual leather on the steering wheel.

Anyway, if it works for you fine, just pointing out that it less aggressive products could give the same result.
Most, if not all, automotive or furniture thread is made from nylon.

Saying the spot cleaner is "more aggressive" is presumptuous.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi all I did the same procedure with liquid laundry detergent and a terry cloth towel with superb results. DO NOT use any harsh cleaners, you will fade the color of the thread.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi all I did the same procedure with liquid laundry detergent and a terry cloth towel with superb results. DO NOT use any harsh cleaners, you will fade the color of the thread.
yep laundry detergent works magic with a dry cloth.then with a wet cloth wipe it off .
took me max 10 min....end result is great.
cellphone pictures hmmm,1 before and 2 after.you can see the difference :M5thumbs:

why did i never tryed this before :3: :hihi:

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
yep laundry detergent works magic with a dry cloth.then with a wet cloth wipe it off .
took me max 10 min....end result is great.
cellphone pictures hmmm,1 before and 2 after.you can see the difference :M5thumbs:

why did i never tryed this before :3: :hihi:
Dang, night and day difference. Very nice. I will try this myself. Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
For a longer lasting result I would recommend cleaning the leather on the steering wheel first, then the stitching last, to prevent from griming up the stitching while gripping the wheel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts