BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started cleaning my throttle bodies yesterday as part of my spring re-conditioning. I not only found a nice size mouse nest, but some of my intake valves look very dirty. I can't imagine this is a good thing. I had just added a bottle of Chevron Techron. Is this something to worry about? Someone had obviously been in my intake, as the "runners" are numbered.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
carbo buildup is very common in these engines, a way to fix that is run the car at high rpms to clean out the valve and it can restore performansce. These engines were made to rev high!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Anyone ever tried Seafoam in the S62 without setting a CEL or SES light? I have done it on other non-OBD-II cars that I have owned with a nice cloud of smoke and no triggered lights. I run Chevron Techron every 3000 miles in all my vehicles though. But I do wonder about the carbon build-up as well.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
go to bav auto order a can of there lubro molly valve clean then a can of jectron use the valve clean in a tank of shell 93 gas and drive her hard then follow with second tank of shell 93 with the jectron agian drive the beast hard after that tank is gone change your oil and re fill your tank with shell 93 repeat process before every oil change. after you do it thru two oil changes pull the upper cover and look at your valve i bet you there clean

·
Registered
6 Posts
I second the seafoam question! I was thinking of doing this the other day but was reluctant because of all the S62's sensors. Thanks!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Anyone ever tried Seafoam in the S62 without setting a CEL or SES light? I have done it on other non-OBD-II cars that I have owned with a nice cloud of smoke and no triggered lights. I run Chevron Techron every 3000 miles in all my vehicles though. But I do wonder about the carbon build-up as well.
I've vacuumed Seafoam into many an M20 and M30, even a few SBCs. I think it's O2 sensor safe but that's a ton of cra... stuff blowing out of the tailpipes. I've wondered if this would help the sedcondary air problem.

dj

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
This sort of issue is why I tend to use Shell V-Power, as it says on the tin that it has some sort of cleaning agents, and should prevent this from happening. I also use an injector cleaner of some brand on a fairly regular basis (roughly every 10k).

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
i've noticed this on my current and last m5 as well. the odd thing is that some of the valves are spotless and some have some carbon buildup. the pattern seems to be random but i've noticed that in the same cylinder one clean valve and one dirty one, odd. you can use seafoam, i've done it many times. remove the plenum cover/runners, and spray it directly into each throttle. castle makes a very good product for dissolving carbon, its called hydroblast. i spray this on the valves first then do the seafoam, followed by an oil change.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys...I agree with Nightkrawler, some of the valves look great, and some look crappy. It was rather hard to get the camera to focus down the bore. I do not agree that a high RPM run will help. The car is "driven" but I don't think that intentionally revving the heck out of it is going to clean the valves.

I will try some of the Shell gas, and a few additives, and check back in a couple months.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well both of my BMWs see Shell V-Power. Granted we are effed over in the state of Maine with 91 being the highest octane grade we have available to us. But they also see Chevron Techron on a regular basis as well. I have always read good things about the Lubro Molly products. Just never touched anything by them.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Occasional high RPM use can help clean these motors, yes. But we all know that the high RPM work (anything over 6k) holds little to no benefit to performance and rapidly takes its toll on the bottom end.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The technical term, coined from years of deep and meaningful technical research by some of the best automotive minds is : "The Italian Tune-Up".

Reactions: E39Sambo

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Thick, black, baked-on carbon build up on the top side of intake valves is burnt oil. I am a newbie with M5's but the usual causes generically are valve stem seals, which based on board posts aren't normally a problem, or crankcase ventilation/oil separator problems which, based on posts, are. This only affects intake valves.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Old thread revived...
Look what I have found about Seafoam.
Turbobricks Forums - View Single Post - Sea Foam Motor Treatment

"I'll add a few words on the Seafoam cleaner. It contains no beneficial fuel detergents. However it is loaded with alcohol, which when burned gives the impression of better ignition. So it is basically a "one tank wonder". Better to spend your money on a valid polyether amine fuel cleaning product like BG 44K or Techron in my opinion. My motorcycle friends all rave on the Seafoam, but in actuality all it does is burn faster, thus fooling us into thinking it is a wonder drug cleaner. So I got curious and analyzed the Seafoam. It turned out to be just plain isopropyl alcohol, a dilution solvent, and a small percentage of light mineral oil. No significant metal additives or detergents to be found. So...my two cents worth of advice is spend your money elsewhere..."

Mikey B.
Gas Chromatograph/Fuels Chemist

I am currently using Techron products. But, I'm thinking about using LubroMoly stuff before the oil change.;)

I've vacuumed Seafoam into many an M20 and M30, even a few SBCs. I think it's O2 sensor safe but that's a ton of cra... stuff blowing out of the tailpipes. I've wondered if this would help the sedcondary air problem.

dj

·
Registered
494 Posts
go to bav auto order a can of there lubro molly valve clean then a can of jectron use the valve clean in a tank of shell 93 gas and drive her hard then follow with second tank of shell 93 with the jectron agian drive the beast hard after that tank is gone change your oil and re fill your tank with shell 93 repeat process before every oil change. after you do it thru two oil changes pull the upper cover and look at your valve i bet you there clean
Interesting, these products are safe for our cars and actually work? I always thought they were a bit of a scam...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I do not have an answer to your question, but here is my thoughts about cleaning stuff.
I purchased 2003 M5 with more than 100K mileage. Complete stock.
At first, I found some hesitation in acceleration but Techron stuff made it go away. Since then, I am hooked with injector and/or valve cleaner product. I'll buy Liquimoly product and use it when I need to change oil. I do not think this will make your or my engine like new, but I believe it will help to maintain the fuel system clean. (cleaner than not doing anything.)

Interesting, these products are safe for our cars and actually work? I always thought they were a bit of a scam...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts