BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a re-post. I couldn't find anything like this in the search, so here goes.

The other day, sitting at the dealer, I was looking at a brochure for the 08 M3.. when it came to interior shots I looked at the steering wheel and thought, daaamn I wish the threads on my steering wheel looked that clean and bright..

Going home, I kept noticing the drab, dirty look of the tri-color "M" threads, and thought.. can't be that hard..

So this morning I grabbed a clean cloth, a cup with some water and a bit of All clothes detergent, and went to scrubbing.

The results are immediately apparent, and it actually worked a lot better than I thought it would. My threads are now at least noticeable as being tri-color.

Sorry for the sub-par pics, it's snowy out and I can't get the car out of the garage..

- Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
It gets discussed occasionally, but it's always a good reminder. I try to clean mine once a month on my M cars.

For what it's worth, the absolute best cleaner I've found for both carpets (either spray-on and blot-off or use it with hot water in your steam cleaner) as well as door panels and interior plastics is...

Folex. Available at many Home Depots. I buy it by the gallon.

It's something I kept secret for a long time, but I don't mind sharing the secret with you guys. The stuff is just plain amazing.

Folex and a microfiber towel will clean pretty much anything off of anything, gently.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Good post, although my own car never gets cleaned.....

I would like to add a caution....some aftermarket cleaning solutions for leather, vinyl etc will literally dissolve certain yarns used for thread stitching. I learned this cleaning the interior of a classic car. The stitching in the headliner and door panels literally dissolved in 15 minutes, even though they seemed to be intact and strong. This nightmare is not something you forget.

Stay away from aggressive cleaners. Sticking with clothing detergent is a novel idea, as stitching of clothes is comprised of both synthetic and natural yarn/thread. The leading detergent mfrs have this sorted out and the M stitching is not an automotive product. I would use detergent significantly diluted and don't get too focused on a perfect job. Moisture seeping into the steering wheel from prolonged contact or deep scrubbing is not good.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For what it's worth, the absolute best cleaner I've found for both carpets (either spray-on and blot-off or use it with hot water in your steam cleaner) as well as door panels and interior plastics is...

Folex. Available at many Home Depots. I buy it by the gallon.
Never heard of it. Unfortunately, I have boycotted Home Despots because they ripped me off on a $35 rebate and I don't forgive easily. Yes, I wrote to customer service. They told me to go stuff it. :confused3

Anywho, I swear by Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) interior cleaner. It has no odor, cleans everything including leather, doesn't stain, doesn't take the color out of dyed stuff, doesn't (too my knowledge) dissolve stitching, and I can scrub stuff like turn signals, buttons, things like that that have printing on them, and not worry about removing the printing (but remove the dirts and oils). Works on all surfaces, leather, plastic, carpeting, vinyl. Griot's wheel cleaner is also excellent.

HTH,

Michael

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Never heard of it. Unfortunately, I have boycotted Home Despots because they ripped me off on a $35 rebate and I don't forgive easily. Yes, I wrote to customer service. They told me to go stuff it. :confused3

Anywho, I swear by Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) interior cleaner. It has no odor, cleans everything including leather, doesn't stain, doesn't take the color out of dyed stuff, doesn't (too my knowledge) dissolve stitching, and I can scrub stuff like turn signals, buttons, things like that that have printing on them, and not worry about removing the printing (but remove the dirts and oils). Works on all surfaces, leather, plastic, carpeting, vinyl. Griot's wheel cleaner is also excellent.

HTH,

Michael

http://www.folexcompany.com/find_us.html

·
Registered
426 Posts
Fantastic post, I've been thinking about how to clean my M threads just last week!! I will try it this weekend! THANKS GUYS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts