BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couple of months back; I decided to "simple green" & isopropyl alcohol finish the electronics associated with the mysterious "black box(s)" known as MAFs.

Let's face it; for the most part, electronics exposed to air aren't going to wear out & likely only require cleaning. That said, the cleaning brought the 35,000 mile beast back to life somewhat, yet & as evidenced by the somewhat persistent 3-4K RPM loss of power, continued experimentation in the form of additional cleaning (prior to shelling out $$) was worth a shot.

I purchased this stuff as recommended by another board member & liberally applied it to the "3" main areas of said MAF electronic voo-doo.

Apparently this stuff is the trick as the car has not accelerated like this since I've owned it & the stumbling? - Gone - completely gone with 75 mile of subsequent "testing" to make that validation…… It's GONE!

If you're throwing CPS or MAF related faults; or experience hesitation/ stumbling, I'd recommend picking up a can of electroWash & taking the ten minute "MAF Challenge" . :D
My assumption & as echoed by more than a few here, is that the MAFs are the culprit for many seemingly non-related anomalies. :M5launch:

·
Registered
931 Posts
I heard about the Electro-Wash cleaner from the Rennlist Forum and added it to the BMW wash cycle. Soaking in Simple Green, quick water rinse, liberal alcohol wash down, then finish with spray down of Electro-Wash, and a light air blow dry. This seems to do the trick, and better than spending $$$$ for new MAFS.

Wat to go.... mmmmmm

·
Registered
530 Posts
I used this Electrowash and had fine results, without any Simple Green. Peppier, more responsive.

After cleaning, the Oil T° seemed to increase by about 10°F. Hmmm?

Maybe I'm just driving it a little harder. Can't tell. More to follow on this.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
vics said:
Couple of months back; I decided to "simple green" & isopropyl alcohol finish the electronics associated with the mysterious "black box(s)" known as MAFs.

Let's face it; for the most part, electronics exposed to air aren't going to wear out & likely only require cleaning. That said, the cleaning brought the 35,000 mile beast back to life somewhat, yet & as evidenced by the somewhat persistent 3-4K RPM loss of power, continued experimentation in the form of additional cleaning (prior to shelling out $$) was worth a shot.

I purchased this stuff as recommended by another board member & liberally applied it to the "3" main areas of said MAF electronic voo-doo.

Apparently this stuff is the trick as the car has not accelerated like this since I've owned it & the stumbling? - Gone - completely gone with 75 mile of subsequent "testing" to make that validation…… It's GONE!

If you're throwing CPS or MAF related faults; or experience hesitation/ stumbling, I'd recommend picking up a can of electroWash & taking the ten minute "MAF Challenge" . :D
My assumption & as echoed by more than a few here, is that the MAFs are the culprit for many seemingly non-related anomalies. :M5launch:
Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to try this out. I really do not have any hesitaion at this point, but I could have gotten used to it over time if it is in fact there.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts