BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for cleaning the exhaust tips?? Mine are original with 46000 miles on them. I tried soap and water and elbow grease and that improved them, however, I want them to shine!!!!!:M5thumbs: To me that is one of the best features of the M5. Maybe some after market tips?? I really want to keep it stock, so any suggestions would be great.:wroom: :flag:

Did I say how much I love this place!! Lots of great info!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I know what you mean and mine with 59k miles BLING!!

I used Mothers aluminum polish. Small red can.

With a small amount of elbow grease and an hour or so, they look like BRAND NEW.

You will be pleased, I promise.

R

Don't forget to wash well before polishing.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have also had good luck with mothers polish/cleaner, Josh

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
hudson said:
Ultra fine steel wool (XXXX) does an excellent job cleaning the tips.

Good luck
Joe
I agree that this works very well, but you might was to try a product called MAAS www.maasinc.com . It has been very effective for me in not only removing all the blemishes, but protecting them from returning. It also works great on the wheels if you have chrome. I use it on my stainless steel fridge as well. No more spots or hand prints!

Mark

·
Registered
138 Posts
As stated before, mother's mag and aluminum polish works fantastic. It is a metal abrasive, gentle, but an abrasive. I have taken stock engine parts that were tainted, some rusted, and combining wet sanding up to 600 grit wetsand and then several coats of Mother's, managed a brilliant shine on them. Take your time with the Mother's and you should see great results with several coats.

:cheers:

Sean

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Member "Ocean's M5" is Sam-the-Tip-Man, try a search for more details.

I think he wet sands (inside?) using 1000-2000 paper, then uses Semichrome polish. Stunning results.

Blue Magic works great, too.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I tried Mothers and Blue Magic on the tips. The Mothers lacked the "grit" and required a lot more elbow grease on the stainless steel. It did a fine job for sure, but required more muscle to get the same results as Blue Magic.

IMO, Mothers is more suitable for softer metal such as polished aluminum. CAUTION: Don't use it on your wheels - they're painted with clear coat, and should be cleaned using the same products and with the same gentleness as you'd use on your car's paint.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thumbs up for Mothers as well (red can, white top). Eagle 1 Nevr Dull is also good, I've had that recommended.

If you find the Mothers stuff doesn't get out some of the stubborn spots, the steel wool route is probably the way to go.

·
10,458 Posts
i've used simichrome and wenol metal polishes on my exhaust tips with excellent results. I recently acquired a used dinan exhaust and pollished the tips and part of the mufflers with wenol and a rotary buffer, wow, they shine. took off the goldish look that stainless seems to get as they go thru heat cycles and age too. both the simichrom and wenol come in a tube, and are metal polishes, i think i actually bought it at the dealer.
mike

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips!!!:cheers: Thats whats so great about this site!!! I almost felt stupid for asking the question, but lo and behold, helpful answers!!!!lovelove I will give the Mothers a try, the extra elbow grease won't bother me, I am hard headed that way, makes you feel like you did something. Like my "baby" will know I really care about her and she will return the favor with years of fun driving!!:wroom: :flag:

Thanks agian

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have always use
towel and Turtle way chrome/metal polishes..

Also try to clean the tip as often as possible as the burnt carbon deposit is harder to comes off after extended period of time..

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
694 Posts
On My Tubi's, Inside the Tips or outside, I would use only the Semi-chrome Polish made in Germany. No wet sand.

However with the Stock Tips I would in fact wetsand with 1000 then 2000. Then with a 1" round grinding stone, i would wrap at least 4 layers of cloth(socks work well), around the stone and polish the Inside with the Semi-chrome polish. Outside--> I would use a sock and do the shoe shining bit... hiha

Semichrome Polish here

There are various levels of sanding. You can make the interior of the tips perfectly smooth or leave some of the Mandrell lines for added character... hmmm

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My B&B tips have not been cleaned in five years. They look better in black than in chrome!

Steve

·
Registered
172 Posts
How often do you guys polish?
My Tubi tips get dirty even after a 10-20 mile drive. Maybe I am just running rich?? (have the Powerchip 93 GOLD)

Seems like a PITA to keep doing it. Ocean's M5 - beautiful results. How long does it last?

Speedmonkee

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
Blue magic does the trick for me:M5thumbs:
I have also seen good results with Blue Magic.
Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have heavy black deposits then try some dilute phosphoric acid, quite a few wheel and aluminium cleaners contain this together with strong detergents. In the UK 'Wonder Wheels' is the ticket. Apply with a brush, dont get it on the paintwork or your driveway. Leave it on for 5 minutes or so and then wash off. Repeat several times until the heavy deposits are gone, then use Simichrome, Solvol Autosol, or any fine grade paint refinishing compound suhc as Farecla G6 or similar.

Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts