BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been suspicious for some time now about cleaning the MAFS. Well, today I did it and noticed something very interesting. Before the cleaning and on the same stretch of road, ie grade/slope, and under hard acceleration b/t 1st and 2nd, the car would shift fine.
Now, after the cleaining and under the same acceleration and conditions, the traction control kicks in due to the rear wheels trying to spin from 1st to 2nd. Remember, before with DSC ON, no wheel spin b/t 1st and 2nd. After, with DSC ON, wheel spin evident, thus the DSC "kicks in".
Is this conclusive enough evidence that cleaning the MAFS does make a difference? It is for me.
Best,
TripleD

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
540is:

Run a search on the cleaning MAFS. There is a step by step guide on it. Basically you remove them and soak the wire in a solution to loosen the dirt on it and clean it up wiht some contact cleaner. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Ofcourse it makes a difference! The more you drive it, the better the preformance becomes

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
tripleD said:
Ok, I've been suspicious for some time now about cleaning the MAFS. Well, today I did it and noticed something very interesting. Before the cleaning and on the same stretch of road, ie grade/slope, and under hard acceleration b/t 1st and 2nd, the car would shift fine.
Now, after the cleaining and under the same acceleration and conditions, the traction control kicks in due to the rear wheels trying to spin from 1st to 2nd. Remember, before with DSC ON, no wheel spin b/t 1st and 2nd. After, with DSC ON, wheel spin evident, thus the DSC "kicks in".
Is this conclusive enough evidence that cleaning the MAFS does make a difference? It is for me.
Best,
TripleD
TripleD,

Did you have any hesitation problems before cleaning the MAF's?

Mark

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No hesitation problems whatsoever. Just wanted to make sure I was getting every drop of performance possible.

TripleD

·
Registered
298 Posts
I cleaned mine to try and cure the hesitation when cold issue, it made absolutely no difference from what I can determine. I had no trouble getting the DSC to intervene before the cleaning though and it seems to be about the same now. What seems to help with the cold hesitation issue is to let the car idle for a minute before starting down the road. I undestand that the powerchip re-program does away with this issue completely, I might try that next.

Regards

·
Registered
927 Posts
Dave,

Where did you get the Torx bit from to unscrew the MAF? Also, what cleaner did you end up going with and where did you purchase from?

Thanks,

Najeeb

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got lucky on my second attempt and actually found the 6 head Torx at Lowes. I used an electrical cleaner from Radio Shack as I posted earlier a question on where to find this Chemtronics Electrowash, but I didn't get any responses other than "google it". I also used a q-tip and some alcohol.

TripleD

·
Registered
927 Posts
tripleD said:
I got lucky on my second attempt and actually found the 6 head Torx at Lowes. I used an electrical cleaner from Radio Shack as I posted earlier a question on where to find this Chemtronics Electrowash, but I didn't get any responses other than "google it". I also used a q-tip and some alcohol.

TripleD
Thanks Dave! I just ordered the cleaner online. Also, some members have five-sided Torx fasteners and others six. Mine has six so I'll head to Sears and get some bits. I'm eager to see a difference after the cleaning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts