BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ashok/Gustav

Can you clarify if the E60 M5 will come with a manual gearbox. Can we clarify this once and for all since people in the US are saying the M5
will have a manual tranmission but what gets me is how can the M5
maintain its performance stats with a manual !!!!

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Ghufran said:
Ashok/Gustav

Can you clarify if the E60 M5 will come with a manual gearbox. Can we clarify this once and for all since people in the US are saying the M5
will have a manual tranmission but what gets me is how can the M5
maintain its performance stats with a manual !!!!

Thanks.
the US-spec M5 WILL have conventional manual transmission box. more specifically a 6-speed manual. however, it is likely that such option won't be available for the first few batch of us-spec M5 production.

hope this clears up your confusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
tifosi,
Originally the manual transmission rumours were for the north american market. Now all the discussion points to a US-Spec M5 with the manual transmission. I know that BMW Canada has no ties to BMW USA so I am wondering whether we will get the manual option. My dealer has no info.

Have you heard anything?

Terk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Terk said:
tifosi,
Originally the manual transmission rumours were for the north american market. Now all the discussion points to a US-Spec M5 with the manual transmission. I know that BMW Canada has no ties to BMW USA so I am wondering whether we will get the manual option. My dealer has no info.

Have you heard anything?

Terk.
no, unfortunately i haven't heard anything regarding manual transmission either.

however, since BMW sold in Canada are all US-spec. presumably, us Canadians will be able to opt for conventional manual transmission sooner or later. but i am honestly not sure if that'll be the case.

in fact as i see it, if manual tranmission turns out to be a success in North America, i think BMW might even make such option available to European market in order to justify the development costs. :)

anyway, i'll keep you posted asap if i find out more info. i'll be at the Internation Canadian AutoShow during press day. hopefully they'll have some more knowledage representatives at press day than NAIAS. and hopefully i'll be able to get some more info from the show.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Ghufran said:
Can we clarify this once and for all since people in the US are saying the M5
will have a manual tranmission but what gets me is how can the M5
maintain its performance stats with a manual !!!!
It won't maintain its performance numbers with the manual. Then again you don't choose a manual for performance reasons. The diffrence in 0-60 and 1/4 times will be negligable. The diffrence will show up in the higer speed acceleration runs and lap times.

It looks like BMW made the choice I was hoping for. Uncompromised SMG performance for those who value it. At the same time it looks like they are seperatly developing a manual, it doesn't appear to share parts so it doesn't require the compromises that the SMG I and II cars had. The question that remains is will BMW charge extra to offest the extra development cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
tifosi said:
anyway, i'll keep you posted asap if i find out more info. i'll be at the Internation Canadian AutoShow during press day. hopefully they'll have some more knowledage representatives at press day than NAIAS. and hopefully i'll be able to get some more info from the show.
Thanks.

You are right about the autoshow staff, the folks in Detroit were not very well informed.

Regards,
T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
absent said:
'07 model year maybe?
the availability of the convention manual is confirm for US market. it's the date and standard/option, that are unknown at the moment.

it's most likely that BMW will not introduce it at the time of the launch. and i guess 07MY is a pretty nice guess. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
as i said in the thread from rem, i emailed my sales rep about this, pointing out I would likely be willing to wait for the manual, or at least a SMG3 test drive. At this point, they cannot confirm or deny a manual, or a date. My guess, unless BMW annouces something official, BMW dealers will most likely stick with this line until it is annouced. Mainly so that they can sell cars.

Enigma, I agree totally. It is nice to see the no compromise approach with the SMG, it should be that way. I imagine that if it is released here, they will release to the rest of the world to spread the costs.

Possibly reuse the transmission in the upcoming M3?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,655 Posts
i will take my "slower" manual m5 any time over the smg. the keyword here is "fun" and if i wanted track performance i would not show in an m5 to begin with.

cant wait...

alex
few cars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
I'm intrigued by the widespread dislike among US drivers of SMG. As everyone knows, SMG is not a torque converter auto, so it isn't the slushiness of auto that is making you dislike SMG.

So what is the reason for disliking SMG? Am I being naive in thinking I am missing nothing by having a machine move the stick and the clutch rather than do it myself?

Have you guys who dislike SMG driven one and found you dislike it after a long test drive, or are you imagining what it is like?

Not criticising your choice of manual at all, just surprised and curious. I have mostly had manual cars but I had an e36 M3 SMG and I loved that gearbox, so can't wait to get SMG3. (Actually i hated it for the first couple of months but then fell in love with it). For me, SMG is one of the most attractive things about the e60 M5. I'm talking about using the SMG in non auto mode, I never liked it in auto mode in the M3.

As I say, not criticising anyone's preference for manual, just curious. :confused2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
That question, and its answers have been beaten to death over the last year. Basically in a nutshell, those of us for manual (realize that does not equal AGAINST SMG) feel a sense of lack of involvement with SMG. Go figure, we actually want to shift and operate the clutch pedal ourselves for some reason.

Interesting that you hated SMG at first then fell for it. I for one loved it at first, then grew tired of it over time to the point I had pretty much no interest in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
AJ said:
i will take my "slower" manual m5 any time over the smg. the keyword here is "fun" and if i wanted track performance i would not show in an m5 to begin with.

cant wait...

alex
few cars
I couldn't agree more. I would also take a softer suspension setting... something to do with potholes in the city......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
M5_2010 said:
I couldn't agree more. I would also take a softer suspension setting... something to do with potholes in the city......
Since the shocks contribute the most to ride quality the adjustable settings on the new car may be just what you want :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Nice that BMW is accomodating the demands of the American market but it sucks for some like me who managed to get on the list early. Brings up a very annoying dilemma... take the SMG-equipped car when it arrives or suck it up and wait (possibly a year) to get what I really want, a 500hp super sedan that I can row my own for sh!ts and giggles.

Almost makes me wish I was lower on the list so I didn't have a choice in the matter and I get the car I really want. Almost wish BMW never bothered to entertain demands of the US customers. Instant gratification is nice but the confirmation of a manual for the US introduces the prospect of a longer and even more painful wait.

I sincerely don't know what to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
masmole said:
Almost makes me wish I was lower on the list so I didn't have a choice in the matter and I get the car I really want. Almost wish BMW never bothered to entertain demands of the US customers. Instant gratification is nice but the confirmation of a manual for the US introduces the prospect of a longer and even more painful wait.
Masmole, maybe the best plan is order another car with manual now, and take the SMG when it arrives. If the scarcity of these cars is the same in US as will be here, your SMG will pretty much hold 100% value for a year or so. If you like the SMG, keep it. If not, then change it for the manual one when that arrives, for relatively little $$$. And you will then be able to write a full review on here of manual vs SMG :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
masmole said:
Nice that BMW is accomodating the demands of the American market but it sucks for some like me who managed to get on the list early. Brings up a very annoying dilemma... take the SMG-equipped car when it arrives or suck it up and wait (possibly a year) to get what I really want, a 500hp super sedan that I can row my own for sh!ts and giggles.

Almost makes me wish I was lower on the list so I didn't have a choice in the matter and I get the car I really want. Almost wish BMW never bothered to entertain demands of the US customers. Instant gratification is nice but the confirmation of a manual for the US introduces the prospect of a longer and even more painful wait.

I sincerely don't know what to do.
The only thing i can say is that that is a nice problem to have ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
masmole, I agree with jfm on this. I am in your shoes as well at number 2 on my dealer's list. I have been in touch with them regarding the manual and go figure, at this time they know nothing, or at least will not "confirm or deny" the rumors.

I explained to them that my decision on excercising my position will depend on the current information on the manual. If the manual appears to be two years out, I will likely just get a two year lease on the SMG car and swap it for the manual when available, unless I fall for SMG.

Another option, if the manual is delayed release, you can always talk to your dealer and get them to let a couple of people behind you slip in front and take the SMG cars. Generally you can negotiate number 1 for something like this unless someone has already beaten you to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
vndkshn said:
Another option, if the manual is delayed release, you can always talk to your dealer and get them to let a couple of people behind you slip in front and take the SMG cars. Generally you can negotiate number 1 for something like this unless someone has already beaten you to it.
This is a great idea. There is no reason for your dealer not to work with you and allow your position to slide and yet retain some form of priority for later allocation until they can sort out the manual tranny option. I am in the same position, #1 on the list and the first car this fall (or when ever they show up over here) is mine. I have mixed feelings over SMG III and have informed my dealer of this. Right now my dealer knows I may pass on the cars for '06 but I have requested that my spot receive priotity for '07. The magic question now is whether we will see the manual tranny option for MY 07?
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top