BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How u all doin?
Got a problem with my car 2 nights ago. It's the transmission again. But the difference is that it stayed in N and wont change to D. So I stopped aside and turn of the car like I do in that situation.

Tryed to turn on again but it kept on saying"put in N and press the brakes". Iv been doin that but it wouldnt turn on. So i sent it to the workshop to check it.

They stiffen some places in the suspensions, changed the whole oil, and found in the computer that CIP 19.1 is needed to upgrade.

When I got my car, I noticed some changes in it:

1- the speakers are louder. It's giving more bass and treble and i used to put both of them in nearly high. So I toned both bass and treble down a notch.

2- the telephone voice on the car is louder THANK GOD so i can open the windows or hear the call while other ppl in my car are talking.

3- The down gears seems different. It doesn't blip as fast as before, and blips at lower rpm's when changing to lower gear. I think that's the problem to the overheat of the trans.. BUT that doesn't change the performance. it only changes the down change time by like far less than a second, some of u might not realise the difference, I have my own ways of knowing

4- that thing I dont know why they changed it but when i turn off the car, the electronics around including the screen turn off more instantly than before.

As a result, they're good changes in the car in y opinion. No more transmission problems!! There might be other changes ill let u ppl know.

There will be a race btw. me and the F430, but i am having college and not finding the time but ill try.

sorry about the race in the banned airport some of u might know, but it wasn't that good, not much competitive cars to race(except one that is stripped out 1987 or so, slick tyres, plastic window, and wit a very good driver in it 3 series wit a V8 engine, we went the same!!!)...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Jad,

Explain what you mean about noticing the difference in downshifting? How do YOU notice?

Jad said:
3- The down gears seems different. It doesn't blip as fast as before, and blips at lower rpm's when changing to lower gear. I think that's the problem to the overheat of the trans.. BUT that doesn't change the performance. it only changes the down change time by like far less than a second, some of u might not realise the difference, I have my own ways of knowing

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jad said:
Jad, when you say that "It doesnt blip as fast as before..." Does that mean when you upshift or downshift, the SMG shifts aren't as responsive anymore?? Or do you just mean when you downshift it doesnt downshift from higher RPM's anymore.. and that the actual downshift speed change is slower...

·
Registered
8 Posts
StealthBlue said:
Jad,

Explain what you mean about noticing the difference in downshifting? How do YOU notice?
Well I have received the CIP 19.1 update and I think what he means is that when you slow down and it automatically downshifts, it doesn't stutter anymore.
It's like it keeps the clutch engaged a bit longer; a lot more comfortable.
And he's right, the whole interior equipments are much better, major improvement so all you E60 M5 owners go for it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guys to answer ur questions, i got to drive the car more and the thing i realised on downshifting, it is noticeable, in a way that it doesn't blip to higher revs than before just like what DjSam says. I was only talkin about downshifting, the upshifting remains the same on the car. The response is still as good and accurate so it's unchanged.

but that gives an advantage and disadvantage to the downshifting process. It used to be louder and it does stutter, which mostly causes the transmission problem. But now it's more comfortable and skids less when downshifting while dsc is off.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I see... thanks. Lower sound= :nono:.

Jad said:
Well guys to answer ur questions, i got to drive the car more and the thing i realised on downshifting, it is noticeable, in a way that it doesn't blip to higher revs than before just like what DjSam says. I was only talkin about downshifting, the upshifting remains the same on the car. The response is still as good and accurate so it's unchanged.

but that gives an advantage and disadvantage to the downshifting process. It used to be louder and it does stutter, which mostly causes the transmission problem. But now it's more comfortable and skids less when downshifting while dsc is off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
do the 2006's that just got delivered to the US have 19.1 already installed?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Jad said:

Are the downshifts slower than they were before?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wolverine said:
Absolutely - I was getting a little worried they had 'detuned' the transmission. Sounds like that's not the case.
I am still wondering what are the effects. So now it downshifts and it blips to lower rpms than before, that explains why the sound is lower; but, by having the transmission engage at lower rpm's, does that affect the balance of the car?

·
Registered
185 Posts
bernhtp said:
If it accomplishes the same thing in the same time with less effort and noise, that's a good thing.

Tom
This is the sort of statement I was worrying about. I am convinced CIP 19 is designed to cater for americans preference for comfort, whereas it does not cater for europeans prefernce for performance!

Why not let the driver decide? I mean they could have ddifferent shift behaviours on P400 and P 500 modes?

Jonas

·
Registered
185 Posts
StealthBlue said:
I am still wondering what are the effects. So now it downshifts and it blips to lower rpms than before, that explains why the sound is lower; but, by having the transmission engage at lower rpm's, does that affect the balance of the car?
Yes! The downshift misses the correct rpm by 500-600 rpm in some modes causing your body to move forward as you get resulting engine braking effect...

Jonas

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I doubt that 19.1 cater's to "American's preference for comfort" (BTW, what a ridiculous thing to say on this particular board.. we aren't talking about Caddies here).

I suspect that BMW has begun to find some of the wide ranging issues in the car now that several hundred (thousands maybe?) are on the road and have begun the process of completing their QA testing. During that, with the pending NA release, they determined that this particular software version was needed to help protect the car and BMW's reputation from the mags (and BMW's pockets from overactive lawsuits) that could/would be caused by a large number of failed M5s here in the US. Sorry to say, but what better environment to test the new version's effectiveness than cars already in customers' hands? I would not be surprised to find this as a "stop-gap" solution until a better solution can be found that addresses the issue correctly. Further, I would say that when in the lower SMG modes, a bit softer downshift would be more in tune with the car's Dr Jeykll side, leaving S5/6 for beast's Mr Hyde...

BTW, I would not be at all surprised to learn that the real reason for the delay in NA is to get some of these bugs worked out before releasing the car... and not any emission's certification.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I do feel this is just to address the noise issue...the blip was quite loud, people on the sidewalk would turn around and look!

But now the blip is quieter, and I feel it is not enough of an rpm match on the downshift, which does not feel good, and can't be good for either transmission or engine. The downshift is now less smooth than before.

The issue with transmission failures I beleive has been related to the upshifts that you can really feel slam through the drivetrain in S4,5 and 6.

By fixing the upshift they may have caused an issue on the other end - on the downshift.

My 2 cents worth...

Jonas

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Nisse said:
But now the blip is quieter, and I feel it is not enough of an rpm match on the downshift, which does not feel good, and can't be good for either transmission or engine. The downshift is now less smooth than before.
So, out of curiosity... how does making the downshift less smooth hope to cater to the "americans preference for comfort"?

·
Registered
185 Posts
As I am saying, they have eliminated one issue, Noise, only to introduce another issue - less smooth...

The best solution would be for BMW to address both issues by separating the performance / comfort characteristics more clearly with the Power programmes p400, p500, and p500Sport.

Then everyone would be happy.

Jonas

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Nisse said:
As I am saying, they have eliminated one issue, Noise, only to introduce another issue - less smooth...

The best solution would be for BMW to address both issues by separating the performance / comfort characteristics more clearly with the Power programmes p400, p500, and p500Sport.

Then everyone would be happy.

Jonas
None of this makes much sense to me. If the goal was to increase the protection of the transmission and engine components, wouldn't making shifts "less smooth" counter that goal? I wonder if the seat-of-the-pants observations do not correlate with the facts. I also wonder if any official comment by BMW is available on what exactly this software change accomplishes. Perhaps in a dealer service bulletin?

And Jonas, don't forget that the only reason a traditional manual transmission will be offered in the M5 is because of us comfort-oriented Americans.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts