BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search on this forum of an application to a cars paint called "Cilajet". I found one post asking the same question and there was no one that replied to it. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this done to their ride. If so I would like to hear from others. I had it done and will post the results here but would like to hear what others have experienced from it or heard about it. HINT: I have positive results.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I did a search on this forum of an application to a cars paint called "Cilajet". I found one post asking the same question and there was no one that replied to it. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this done to their ride. If so I would like to hear from others. I had it done and will post the results here but would like to hear what others have experienced from it or heard about it. HINT: I have positive results.
We had it done on our's and it seems to be working great. The car definitely kept it's shine and "smoothness" like it has a fresh wax after every car wash.

We got dealer cost on it because of a minor screw up on their part, so I think it was well worth the $500!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes! By far my best detail I've ever had was with cilajet products. Had a polish and sealant done and all the car needed was a basic wash to bring to back to when I first had it detailed with cilajet. Last 3 weeks with one detail and basic water and mild auto soap.

·
Registered
976 Posts
So you paid $500 for paint sealant. What is your warranty, what are the provisions of the warranty?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I spent roughly 250 for the polish and sealant. I washed it myself prior to taking it to the cilajet detailer. Jay Leno has his cars on the cilajet products

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
1). If you go with Opti-Coat....make sure it is Opti-Coat Pro and not just the 2.0 version.

2). Jay Leno had ONE (1) car coated.

3). If this coating is so good, why apply anything over it?

4). I have this land in Florida I'm selling cheap...you gotta get in on this. lol

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
So you paid $500 for paint sealant. What is your warranty, what are the provisions of the warranty?
3 year warranty...I'll have to get the paperwork out to see the exact provisions, but they did a full paint correction and detail along with the cilajet application. I don't consider it to be a bad deal.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe the best product ever!

I have done some heavy research on this product. I even spent a few hours talking to the person who invented this. He is from Southern California and I will talk about it more in this coming week. I have to say this right now, this has been on my car for about a week. I have never seen anything that even comes close to it as far as looks and smoothness of the paint. Stay tuned as I have a lot to share.

·
Registered
976 Posts
There are attributes to this (and similar) product. It won't slice bread or represent you in court. You may, however, feel like you lost weight due to your wallet being thinner. btw, did I mention that I am a professional dealer?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
There are attributes to this (and similar) product. It won't slice bread or represent you in court. You may, however, feel like you lost weight due to your wallet being thinner. btw, did I mention that I am a professional dealer?
How much do you charge for a full correction detail with interior protection also?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alternative

Guys
I have been doing a lot of research on Cilajet. I am not ready to post my findings but let me give you a quick update.
There is another product on the market called XXponet. According to the person who invented this product XXponet was duplicated by Cilajet. I do like Cilajet but it is way overpriced to say the least. I have two applications of XXponet and I am going to compare this product with Cilajet. Cilajet is only available thru dealers and you can not buy it to apply it to your car. They have a market on it where you have to take your car to the dealer to have it applied. Again you can not buy it to do it yourself. I was able to get some and I did apply it to my car and truck. In a few days when I find time, I will apply the XXponet to compare the two. XXPonet is available to anyone via the internet. I have spoken to the founder of this product in long phone conversations and have come up the fact that these two products are the same or close to it. I will soon report back my findings. I can tell you this, my car has never looked so good with the Cilajet applied. It has a sparkle more so than any wax job. It feels like the car was color sanded and the smoothest surface ever. If XXponet is as good or better, the cost of this product is well worth it. Especially if you can not do it yourself with Cilajet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
XXponet is the ticket.

Here are my final test results on the less expensive and the same if not better than Cilajet.
I did a black Jag about a week ago. The other day in the late afternoon he drove up to my neighbors house while I was outside. From 75 feet away, his black car looked out of this world. I went down and spoke to him and the person who he visited asked what he did to his car that made it look so good. Out of the blue he asked that question. He had no idea that I detailed his car with this product. This is typical of people wondering how you got the car so shinny.

This product is so easy to use, it's not much different than waxing your car. But you have to get the paint ready for this application of what I use now XXponet. You need it clay barred, washed, and if there are swirl marks from washing, those should be removed. Once that is done, apply this stuff, I do two coats and you will be blown away. Online this stuff is 40 bucks for 10 ounces and you can most likely do two coats with that amount.

I will never go back to wax again, and I loved Mothers waxes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
And how will "they" remove the micro scratches, halo's and swirls?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure what you mean by removing the micro and swirls. Is this prior to the application or after this product is applied. But before I did my car I used the Cyclo Orbital Polisher 5-Pro to get my paint swirl free. Then I applied the XXponet over the Cilajet, which is to me is almost the same product. So please explain where you think the swirls will appear and is it the product that causes that? In my case, definite no as there are no swirls. It is like a mirror. Here is one picture of it in my garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
Do you realize how many coatings similar to the ones you have referred to and/or applied that are on the market toda?
What I would like to know is: the condition of the clear coat before you did anything. What product did you use on your existing paint to remove swirls, nano scratches etc. How long did you allow the product to cure? Will you, at some future date use a
wax on top of the coating?
Ax

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
20 ducks
I am not aware of any other products on the market that may be similar. I know XXponet has a contract with at least one airlines that using only his product. My clear coat was perfect, since I baby it when it is washed. I use a pressure washer first, rarely any soap, a leaf blower to dry 95% of it and then a soft towel to get the little spots here and there. So it is darn close to perfect. I used a rubbing compound for light swirls made by 3D, the least aggressive they had and I have used 3M from time to time. I was told after 10 minutes of this XXponet on the car it is ready to be removed. And I have even let it sit overnight with no extra effort to remove it, which with a good wax you would be in trouble. About putting some good wax like Carnauba over this product, I do plan on doing just that to like my trunk to see how it works. I too am curious about how that will work or even if it is necessary.
I like this stuff but who knows what it will be like in 6 months or a year. I also put it on one of my Black Chrome OEM wheels and the break dust was at least 50% less on it. I took my finger and rubbed the inside on one wheel with and without it, and again, 50% at least less on my finger with the XXponet.
I am into any input you and or others have about this product or others. Any input about this or others products will be appreciated.
One More Note. I think this works best on paint that is not yet eaten up by the elements. Older cars I think would have a hard sell. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Nice pics, btw.

Here is the skinny on many of these coatings that a now available. The key to a successful application is 2 fold: preparation and even application of the coating. Preparation is paint correction. The amount of paint prep is determined by the detailer doing the correction. This means that scratches, nano and micro need to be buffed out with a compound. The degree of damage may require heavy to light compounding determined by severity of damage. Once this has been accomplished the paint needs to be wiped down with a dilution of IPA or solvent that will not only clean any compound oil and/or silicone residue but leave nothing behind on the paint. Reason: The coating needs to cover every square inch of paint. If anything is missed or overlooked you will end up see any blemish(s). The second part of the application challenge is not allowing any build up whilst applying the coating. Using a crosshatch pattern, one must be cautious to smooth out any area where the coating "built up". This must be wiped down immediately. Miss those and the detailer will spend hours trying to wipe down or buff down the excess once the coating cures. It can be a nightmare for anyone trying to smooth out these areas. I medium cutting pad may be necessary. You may also see the "built up" areas on the paint as blotchiness. Once all of these things are done the you can look forward to a shine that should last for a few years. Some suppliers ignore the idea of putting an any top coat was, synthetic or natural was.

Rookies should not try to apply these products. This coating should last for a few years depending on your appearance care protocols.

I have coated over a dozen coatings of Opti-Coat 2.0. Within a short period of time, I will be certified to use the Opti-Coat Pro version of this product link.

I hope this clarified my feelings about this product, it's application and longevity.

Like my detailing page? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gregs-Ultimate-Detailing-LLC/174570249279091

1 - 20 of 25 Posts