BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have seen some older threads on this, but wanted to ask the group. Where can I get a good quality, CIC retrofit kit for my e60? I am guessing the cost has come down a bit since this was going back years ago. I just picked this car up about a month ago.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I gotta replace my ccc radio too I been thinking about getting an Android headunit

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you guys are interested i have an Android avin unit I’m getting rid of new in the box. Never got around to install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did the full CIC retrofit in my 07 with the newer controller, HVAC, and combox. Anywhere you go for all of that is going to be well over 2k for a kit. You can buy piecemeal parts for cheap if you want but then need know how to recode VIN numbers for parts. I got my stuff from an ebay seller who is no longer there.

For a 1/4 of the price i paid and a lot less headaches I'd honestly go with the newest android head unit that has blue tooth built in if I had to do it all over again. I will say I have a much better understanding of the wiring in nearly the whole car and can take apart my dash/center console in my sleep now.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Speaking from experience... if you go with an Android unit, I suggest that you research and go with a vendor that allows the OS and firmware to be upgraded.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Confirming that SmartyTrends can indeed be upgraded.
I plan to replace my Avin unit with a SmartyTrends later this year after BavSound releases their promised factory amplifier upgrade (to complement the Stage 1 speaker and Ghost subwoofer upgrade).
BTW - I was unaware that the Avin unit could not be ungraded when I purchased it in 2018.
The Avin unit does however works well with the exception that the Bluetooth SUCKS. That should not be showstopper as you can still use the factory Bluetooth for phone calls instead.

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh... good point here. I will have to look into the SmartyTrends unit. Do you lose any functionality going that route?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I did not lose any functionalityu with the Avin unit... retained all factory features & functions.
I would surprised if SmartyTrends is any different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts