BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't look like anyone is active anymore on 5series forums so i figured I would post here. Just finished up my CIC retrofit (hardware portion) and it went pretty smoothly. Now I need to work on the coding portion and this is where I am a little stuck. Here is what I have done so far:

- opened up NCS Expert
- loaded up the expert mode profile
- selected WIN/ZCS/FA
- selected ZCS/FA f. ECU
- selected E60 for chassis
- selected CAS
- selected Enter FA
- selected E60
- VIN was auto populated into the field
- highlighted old build (was #0907), deleted it
- added #0909
- hit OK
- selected Process ECU
- changed job to FA_WRITE
- executed job
- changed module to LMA (only two modules that were available were the CAS and LMA)
- repeated the same steps

These steps have stuck as when I load both CAS and LMA ECU in NCS, I get a build date of #0909. Now, I'm a bit confused on the next part but I think I have the gist of that I need to do figured out. What I need to do is:

- obtain my populated .MAN file
- under the various ECUs, I need to change things from nicht_aktiv to aktiv
- that needs to be done for the Mview, cooled seats, and active seats
- write updated .MAN file back to car

Does that look correct? I'd like to do it myself for the learning experience rather than paying a retrofit shop like bimmer-tech to do it (not that they aren't great, but for the sense of accomplishment you know?)

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just did this on a 535xi. After you've written your VO changes, you should be able to just code the CIC with a blank FSW_PSW file. That will set the module to the defaults for the VO that's entered (which in your case would be a #0909 M5 with your specific options). From that point it's a matter of activating the FSCs for navigation and what not (don't need an emulator anymore - there's a patch that allows you to generate and activate your own FSCs). My car was already updated to the latest software a while ago - if yours wasn't, some modules may need updates to talk to the CIC properly.

If you're doing a combox retrofit that will require a bit more work. I've got it 99% of the way there (it won't connect to the internet via my phone, even though it shows my phone as data capable).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did this on a 535xi. After you've written your VO changes, you should be able to just code the CIC with a blank FSW_PSW file. That will set the module to the defaults for the VO that's entered (which in your case would be a #0909 M5 with your specific options). From that point it's a matter of activating the FSCs for navigation and what not (don't need an emulator anymore - there's a patch that allows you to generate and activate your own FSCs). My car was already updated to the latest software a while ago - if yours wasn't, some modules may need updates to talk to the CIC properly.

If you're doing a combox retrofit that will require a bit more work. I've got it 99% of the way there (it won't connect to the internet via my phone, even though it shows my phone as data capable).
Thanks for the post! After doing some more research, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and have it coded for me. It doesn't cost too much to have to coded correctly. That way I won't accidentally screw something up. I'll make sure to pay attention while they do it so I at least know the gist of what is going on.

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks for the post! After doing some more research, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and have it coded for me. It doesn't cost too much to have to coded correctly. That way I won't accidentally screw something up. I'll make sure to pay attention while they do it so I at least know the gist of what is going on.

-Jeffinslaw
I'd say at least give it a shot yourself. You can't really break it if you're not reflashing it with WinKFP

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say at least give it a shot yourself. You can't really break it if you're not reflashing it with WinKFP
Well I'm glad I went and tried it again! Got it 99% working. Only missing the menu for the active seats and the gauges for M mode like g-force and whatnot. Any idea what modules those are located in?

For those interested, I will go ahead and make a more detailed post (with pictures) on how to properly code a CIC. It really isn't all that difficult to be honest. The most difficult part was setting up the programs and getting the latest DATEN files. The general process is described below (more detailed guide coming if requested).

- download and install BMW Coding Tool, NCSExpert, INPA, WinKFP, etc.
- download latest DATEN files from the bay of the pirate or other loactions
- update latest DATEN files using BMW Coding Tool
- update VO using NCS (delete old build date and add #0909)
- create new NCS profile for reading/writing to .PSW, .FSW and .MAN files (might not be necessary if using BMW Coding Tool)
- read ECU (CAS ECU)
- process ECU
- read CIC ECU
- load TRC file using BMW Coding Tool
- change things from not_active to active
- save .MAN file in BMW Coding Tool
- write new .MAN file to car using NCS

And that's it! If all goes well, the job should execute and the CIC has been properly coded.

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you didn't I'd try coding the CIC with a blank MAN file rather than trying to edit things by hand.
Ah.. little late on that one unfortunately. I think it worked well. Just missing two things.

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
283 Posts
It really wouldn't hurt anything (it would actually ensure that it's coded 100% accurately), but if you'd really prefer to try things by hand, try setting "CIC_MDRIVE" to aktiv and "ACTIVE_BACKREST_ADJ" to aktiv

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It really wouldn't hurt anything (it would actually ensure that it's coded 100% accurately), but if you'd really prefer to try things by hand, try setting "CIC_MDRIVE" to aktiv and "ACTIVE_BACKREST_ADJ" to aktiv
What would the process be for using a blank MAN file? And thanks! I'll change those two things tomorrow. Both within the CIC ECU, correct?

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the blank MAN file, just delete everything inside the FSW_PSW.MAN file and save it (there should be no text inside). Then hit SG_CODIEREN. What will happen then is NCS will look at the VO and set the parameters based on that.
Oh that's super easy. Wish I would have known that first! Thanks!

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My current FSW_PSW.MAN file is already empty. Should I use a blank .TRC file instead?

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TRC won't do anything. How were you coding it before?
Using the steps given within BMW Coding Tool:

- Open NCSExpert
- Load the Read/Write FSW TSW MAN Profile
- Select VIN/ZCS/FA
- Select ZCS/FA f. ECU
- Select E60
- Select CAS ECU
- Back
- Process ECU
- Select CIC ECU
- Select "Read ECU"
- Close the .TRC popup
- Load TRC-file in BMW Coding Tools
- Edited the contents that showed up in BMW Coding Tools
- Saved the MAN file (used BMW Coding Tools for this)
- Back into NCSExpert
- Changed job to write
- Wrote new file to CIC ECU

That was the process I followed.

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
283 Posts
So it sounds to me like you never actually coded it with a blank .MAN file. So just make sure it's blank and then do the SG_CODIEREN job. Backup your current settings if you're concerned.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it sounds to me like you never actually coded it with a blank .MAN file. So just make sure it's blank and then do the SG_CODIEREN job. Backup your current settings if you're concerned.
Looks like we're all good to go! I was trying to code out my DRL errors (I have aftermarket bulbs that the car doesn't like). Looks like those changes didn't stick... I went into the LMA ECU and changed the following from active to not active.

KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_L
nicht_aktiv
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_R
nicht_aktiv
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_L
nicht_aktiv
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_R
nicht_aktiv

Processed the LMA ECU using the SG_CODIEREN job but I got an idrive warning shortly after starting the car.

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looks like we're all good to go! I was trying to code out my DRL errors (I have aftermarket bulbs that the car doesn't like). Looks like those changes didn't stick... I went into the LMA ECU and changed the following from active to not active.

KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_L
nicht_aktiv
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_R
nicht_aktiv
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_L
nicht_aktiv
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_R
nicht_aktiv

Processed the LMA ECU using the SG_CODIEREN job but I got an idrive warning shortly after starting the car.

-Jeffinslaw
Try setting FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_SL_V_L and FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_SL_V_R to nicht_aktiv. If that doesn't work, try setting CC_MELD_PARKLICHT to nicht_aktiv

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Try setting FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_SL_V_L and FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_SL_V_R to nicht_aktiv. If that doesn't work, try setting CC_MELD_PARKLICHT to nicht_aktiv
Neither of those two worked. I know I'm coding things correctly because I coded out the legal disclaimer before attempting the DRL issue. No more legal disclaimer upon startup which is very nice.

-Jeffinslaw

1 - 20 of 102 Posts