BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am determining whether or not I should go with 18 or 19 inch rims, that are either chrome or hyperblack or silver (both hyper black and silver are the same price).

I have an 01 M5, and really am just starting to do mods to it and add some personality to the vehicle.

Any thoughts?

The M5 is my everyday car, so my thoughts are chromes would be hard to keep clean and scratch free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
korea-What color is your car? I looked but saw no photo's.


That might make a difference in recommendations!


korea_7 said:
I am determining whether or not I should go with 18 or 19 inch rims, that are either chrome or hyperblack or silver (both hyper black and silver are the same price).

I have an 01 M5, and really am just starting to do mods to it and add some personality to the vehicle.

Any thoughts?

The M5 is my everyday car, so my thoughts are chromes would be hard to keep clean and scratch free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys. I didn't even think about that.

My car is carbon black, with black interior. I don't have a current pic of my car, but will post as I do some mods.

So, now that I have posted the color of my car, any more thoughts on chrome vs hyper black vs silver?


Carrera2RS said:
Good point.

Silver with dark alloys looks fabmmmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
I have to tell you that I never liked chrome wheels until I saw them on another JB or CB M5. I thought it looked GREAT. Here is a post that has the wheels done in silver and even though it's dark, I think it looks awesome. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51728 I would stay away from black. Trust me. I had mine powdercoated Black Chrome (on Imola) and kinda wish I would have gone lighter.



korea_7 said:
Sorry guys. I didn't even think about that.

My car is carbon black, with black interior. I don't have a current pic of my car, but will post as I do some mods.

So, now that I have posted the color of my car, any more thoughts on chrome vs hyper black vs silver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
korea_7 said:
I am determining whether or not I should go with 18 or 19 inch rims, that are either chrome or hyperblack or silver (both hyper black and silver are the same price).

I have an 01 M5, and really am just starting to do mods to it and add some personality to the vehicle.

Any thoughts?

The M5 is my everyday car, so my thoughts are chromes would be hard to keep clean and scratch free.
I would stay with the 18 inch. Best for performance, price and tire expense. Chrome is good with dark colors, CB, Black, Imola and perhaps blue. Chrome is much easier to keep clean than a painted or clear coated surface. Of course you need to maintain it like anything else to keep the apperance up. When chrome gets dirty it looks like shadow chrome when clean.

Now I am biased because I have the AC Schnitzer Type III two piece racing wheels matched to an Imola Red color. With the chrome Tubi exhaust tips at the rear and the chrome wheels, it adds just enough sparkle for the cars personality. This combo would probably not work with silver, white or another light color.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
korea_7 said:
I am determining whether or not I should go with 18 or 19 inch rims, that are either chrome or hyperblack or silver (both hyper black and silver are the same price).

I have an 01 M5, and really am just starting to do mods to it and add some personality to the vehicle.

Any thoughts?

The M5 is my everyday car, so my thoughts are chromes would be hard to keep clean and scratch free.
Im having my oem wheels chromed right now. Theyre not actually beiing chromed but theyre going thru a process called permastar. Pacific Rims in CA is who im using. Basically its a real thin layer of chrome covered with a clear powdercoat. They say it has the best qualities of both chrome and powdercoatiing. High reflectivity of chrome with the toughness and easy cleanup of powdercoat. I should have them back in about a week so ill post some info when i get them. They also do a black chrome finish but i thouoght that would be too dark on my avus blue car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
Wake Champ said:
MAH,
Can we see a picture?
Good idea. I will get the pics and post them.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
kcdoyle said:
I have to tell you that I never liked chrome wheels until I saw them on another JB or CB M5. I thought it looked GREAT. Here is a post that has the wheels done in silver and even though it's dark, I think it looks awesome. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51728 I would stay away from black. Trust me. I had mine powdercoated Black Chrome (on Imola) and kinda wish I would have gone lighter.
Drop your car an inch and it would look fab, I love the black alloys ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,099 Posts
I've always felt that high quality chromed wheels were easier to keep clean than aluminum or clear coated. Brake dust and dirt don't stick as well to it. My 3000GT was black with chromed wheels and looked great. Carbon Black should look good with chromed wheels also.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top