BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for me to make a decision on a colour. In March I ordered it in Le mans blue then changed to Silverstone, now I think I'll go with silver. But before I give my final order does anyone know the name of the colour of the M3 which was at all the motor shows. I think it was called chrome shadow, a silver greyish colour. If anyone has seen it in the flesh I would be interested to hear your views on it.
I know BMW lets people special order colours, and this colour may be available in Germany (has to go back to factory for any repainting).
Any info on this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Shadow Chrome is not a color available for the M3. It is a special color only designated for "show" cars. The reason being is this color is hard to replicate. It's also the same color as the m3 wheels, which if damage, have to be replaced, not repaired.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that was the name of the colour of the show car. I am still sure I read somewhere that this colour could be special ordered only in Germany. My car is for the UK, but I am importing it from a German dealer. Just thought it might be worth asking once I knew the name of it for sure, as the M5 should look fantastic in shadow chrome.

·
Registered
372 Posts
M3 show car paint job is more commonly known as "Chrome Shadow". Rumor is the paint job was black, covered with silver (probably a mica based silver but could have been aluminum as well).

Can it be duplicated? Well, you could certainly try and get close with a paint analysis laser to give you a breakdown of the pigments used.

M3 wheels:
Same process used as the M5 wheels. However, I've got conflicting reports on how these wheels are done. One says they are electro-coated / anodized, the other says painted with a 3 step process similar to above.

If painted, then certainly anyone can duplicate. Or you could paint with the standard BMW Aluminum look wheel paint too. A more interesting option might be to take them to a wheel shop to have them polished, and you won't have to worry about paint ever again... well maybe a few coats of clear.

Personally, that's what I'd do if I had a set of these and they got scratched. If I was strapped for cash, repaint in standard BMW wheel colors. If I had a few hundred, then get one polished, and if it looks OK do the set. I really like the look of polished Al.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are thinking of the M3 Launch car the paint colour was called, 'Gun metal', this colour will not make any options list, I read, that it was a once only deal costing £20K or ($29K), I don't see any one seriously considering this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts