BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whos got Chrome

Just wondering if anyone on the board has chrome OEM wheels. Im thinking of having mine done in a chrome powdercoat and was wondering what it would look like. I've seen Oceansides car and it looks amazing on a black M5, but im wondering what it would look like on an Avus blue one. thanx

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: Whos got Chrome

You can look at mine here go to gallery, M5

Robert

·
Registered
400 Posts

My chromed rims are over there, under view my car

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< titanium silver car though, not blue

·
Registered
50 Posts

I was going to have my oem wheels chromed last summer but someone told me that they flake off and were not a good choice. So they told me to have the wheels pollished. It definatly looks better then stock but i wish i would have just chromed them because i think it looks amazing. Can anyone tell me if theres any truth the the chrome wheels flaking? And where could i have them chromed (i live in the ny are). Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well actually, im not gonna chrome them, Im gonan use a process called permastar, Basically, its a powdercoat but it looks just like chrome. Im having them sent out to california.,

·
Registered
71 Posts

I had chrome rims of a similar design on a previous vehicle and I did love the way they looked. But let me say they are an absolute PITA to polish to a high shine, especially with all the nooks and crannies on this type of wheel. So be prepared to use some elbow grease or pay to have them done. They are a high maintainence way to go. I personally no longer have the patience to sit on my arse and shine chrome for 2 hours after doing it for 4 years. But to each their own, just something to think about. :cheers:

Here is a link to my beast and some 'gray' 19 x 10's for an idea of what a (I think) an upgraded non-chromed wheel can do for the beast (stage III Dinan suspension doesn't hurt either :1: ).

http://www.rcctech.net/pics/caesar/

Dinan stage III Suspension
Dinan front and rear strut bar
Dinan Cold air intakes
Dinan computer software
Euro angel Eye headlights w/6000K bulbs
HID foglights w/6000K bulbs
AP Racing 6-piston big brake kit w/14" rotors
19" TSW Kyalami wheels
275-30-19 Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires
Tubi exhaust
V1 hardwired with stealth display
K-40 laser diffuser hardwired with hidden display
Hamman sideskirts
Blacked out grill and body mouldings
UUC Evo 3 short shift kit
A/D/S component speakers front and rear
PPI Art series A600 amp
Lumar tinted windows
Home Depot sink drains for brake cooling

Also has new: vanos units, waterpump, clutch and flywheel

·
Registered
172 Posts

I agree with Jutty. Had them on my M5 - but a major PITA to keep clean. I loved the look when they were clean, but since I have stock pads - they just dust like crazy! Quick 5 mile drive and they were covered in dust. I eventually, changed them out with lightweight SSR Comps and dropped 10lbs off each corner. They are way easier to keep clean - but not as beautiful as the chromed stock wheels. BTW, I never had problems with flaking.

·
Registered
661 Posts

Remember chrome adds weight. And if it's not done properly it could throw your wheel out of balance and will generate vibration at high speed. i've hear that this can be a problem dispite rebalancing the wheel/tires multiple times.

·
Registered
225 Posts

AFRM5 said:
And where could i have them chromed (i live in the ny are). Thanks
I got mine chromed here They did a great job. Cost about $170 per wheel. I have had NO FLAKING since having it done a year ago. No problems whatsoever. Yeah, they get dirty, but what wheels don't? But when they are SIMPLY wiped off (chrome is MUCH easier to clean than the OEM...simply wipe off!) they are brilliant. I get looks ALL THE TIME and comments at random regarding the beauty of the chromed wheels......
Nothing looks quite like chrome!
Robert

·
Registered
400 Posts

I do the same as 1badm5, wipe them off with a piece of paper towel, dust comes off easily and they are brilliant again. Takes all of perhaps 15 minutes.

As far as the balancing goes, I guess its a possibility, but a rather remote one. Something would have to go very badly in the plating for there to be a large enough accumulation of chrome in one area over another. Plating is a pretty predictable process. I imagine the plating job would be noticably bad if this were to occur. The good news is that it can be easily balanced out when you rotate the tires, particularly if your running directional tires. Always go with a quality recommended plater if you have this done and it should come out ok.

I wonder if anyone makes some type of polish that inhibits the accumulation of the dust on the wheels, something with an opposite electrical charge potential as the dust. I thought i read about a product that did that once. Time for another web search.

·
Registered
554 Posts

1badm5 said:
I got mine chromed here They did a great job. Cost about $170 per wheel. I have had NO FLAKING since having it done a year ago. No problems whatsoever. Yeah, they get dirty, but what wheels don't? But when they are SIMPLY wiped off (chrome is MUCH easier to clean than the OEM...simply wipe off!) they are brilliant. I get looks ALL THE TIME and comments at random regarding the beauty of the chromed wheels......
Nothing looks quite like chrome!
Robert
That place is located in California. AFRM5 was asking for a place in NY.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Petey Pop said:
That place is located in California. AFRM5 was asking for a place in NY.
My understanding (from being in the aftermaket industy) is all the best chrome plating is done in California. I live in Texas, so I simply shipped my wheels there....not a big deal.
Robert

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

baf3472 said:
Just wondering if anyone on the board has chrome OEM wheels.
Initially, I hated the chrome OEM Wheels that came with my pre-owned car, but after I got used to it, I kind of like the contrast. Definitely easy to care for.

I'm still saving up for a set of 19 inch brushed 540R HRE wheels though.

·
Registered
554 Posts

1badm5 said:
My understanding (from being in the aftermaket industy) is all the best chrome plating is done in California. I live in Texas, so I simply shipped my wheels there....not a big deal.
Robert
Did you ship the whole wheel or just the rim? Also, are you happy with the results? Any cons?

Thanks Robert

·
Registered
225 Posts

Ship the rim (w/o tire), wait about 2 weeks and get them returned. Much easier to care for (simply wipe-off!), looks incredible, lots of compliments (daily!), no flaking, no (balanced) problems...even at high speeds (160mph+).

Very cost effective, this is a "no-brainer"........
Robert
Petey Pop said:
Did you ship the whole wheel or just the rim? Also, are you happy with the results? Any cons?

Thanks Robert

·
Registered
92 Posts

Mine are chromed, but my car is black, not Avus Blue. Let me know if you want pics. I've had no problems whatsoever. They are a bit of a pain to keep clean, but I think are worth it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Chromed Stock Wheels

For those of you that have the stock wheel chromed, how easy are they to clean?

I am sick of trying to make my "old" wheels look good. The previous owner(s) did not take care of the wheels and there are areas where the brake dust is "baked" on. I've tried Eagle wheel cleaner, PS21, and even claying them to try and get it off - to no avail. Not that they all look black and bad, but they just don't look as sharp as new wheels.

Since I have a black car and know that chrome against black looks really sharp, I'm thinking hard about doing this.

I'm used to the AZEV Type A's on my E34 535 lovelove which with only 5 spokes versus 20 are a breeze to clean and keep looking sharp. Now I spend 5-10 minutes on each wheel every week - which is a PITA.

I know that the problem can be reduced by switching from BMW brake pads to Metalmasters - which I have on the 535, but that won't eliminate the damage already done.

Thank you for your insights!
:cheers:
Alfred

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Stickman said:
For those of you that have the stock wheel chromed, how easy are they to clean?

I am sick of trying to make my "old" wheels look good. The previous owner(s) did not take care of the wheels and there are areas where the brake dust is "baked" on. I've tried Eagle wheel cleaner, PS21, and even claying them to try and get it off - to no avail. Not that they all look black and bad, but they just don't look as sharp as new wheels.

Since I have a black car and know that chrome against black looks really sharp, I'm thinking hard about doing this.

I'm used to the AZEV Type A's on my E34 535 lovelove which with only 5 spokes versus 20 are a breeze to clean and keep looking sharp. Now I spend 5-10 minutes on each wheel every week - which is a PITA.

I know that the problem can be reduced by switching from BMW brake pads to Metalmasters - which I have on the 535, but that won't eliminate the damage already done.

Thank you for your insights!
:cheers:
Alfred
From my experience with chromed wheels they are actually much easier to clean. The dust doesn't seem to stick well to the metal surface of a chromed wheel.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts