BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My refinished OEM M5 wheels were just delivered this afternoon. I purchased my '02 from PilotMike, and it came with gray powdercoated wheels. I liked the gray stealthy look, on the Sterling Gray, but the wheels just didn't have any pop. The powdercoating was too Matte finish, and was starting to come up in a couple of spots. I run custom Black Chrome wheels on my X5, and I really like the look. I decided to do something similar to my OEM wheels.

I was totally blown away by how good they look, when they arrived. Here are some early posts. They look much lighter in bright sun, almost matching the Sterling Gray paint color. As the light level falls, they get darker, but remain very reflective. I took the photos with the sun setting here in CA, in low light with no flash. It's basically a tinted clear powdercoat over a smoked chrome plating. It's as durable as a powdercoat, but as shiny as chrome. Very sharp. I had it done by Cal Chrome in Valencia, CA. www.calchrome.com.

I also got new Sumitomo booties to try out, replacing the half worn Michelin Pilot Sports. (Check the For Sale Forum if you are interested.) I had an opportunity to drive another M5 with the HTR Z III's, and I was very impressed. I didn't care for the HTR Z II's that a buddy of mine runs on his 911. Sumitomo has stepped up their game, and you can't beat the price. Now to get them on the car!

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
That looks outstanding! Do you have specs on the paint color as I'm about to get my wheels refinished and I like the darker, but not black color. TIA.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just go to www.calchrome.com. They show the Black Chrome on their web site, and detail all the steps in the process. It took two weeks to get done, but it's been worth the wait. If you want to ask questions, email [email protected]. The process runs $225/wheel.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My refinished OEM M5 wheels were just delivered this afternoon. I purchased my '02 from PilotMike, and it came with gray powdercoated wheels. I liked the gray stealthy look, on the Sterling Gray, but the wheels just didn't have any pop. The powdercoating was too Matte finish, and was starting to come up in a couple of spots. I run custom Black Chrome wheels on my X5, and I really like the look. I decided to do something similar to my OEM wheels.

I was totally blown away by how good they look, when they arrived. Here are some early posts. They look much lighter in bright sun, almost matching the Sterling Gray paint color. As the light level falls, they get darker, but remain very reflective. I took the photos with the sun setting here in CA, in low light with no flash. It's basically a tinted clear powdercoat over a smoked chrome plating. It's as durable as a powdercoat, but as shiny as chrome. Very sharp. I had it done by Cal Chrome in Valencia, CA. www.calchrome.com.

I also got new Sumitomo booties to try out, replacing the half worn Michelin Pilot Sports. (Check the For Sale Forum if you are interested.) I had an opportunity to drive another M5 with the HTR Z III's, and I was very impressed. I didn't care for the HTR Z II's that a buddy of mine runs on his 911. Sumitomo has stepped up their game, and you can't beat the price. Now to get them on the car!

Look very nice and different..

Post up a pic when once you installed them on the car, preferably when its bright and dark outside....
I am curious how it looks like under different lighting :)

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, They look great on the car! They look really dark, but still sparkle, in the dim light of my garage. I'll get some pics tomorrow, and post them. I have to go to Anaheim for the day, so maybe late Saturday.

The good news is that they don't slow the beast down a bit! It pulled hard all the way to just over the speed limit, x2, during my shakedown run on the 118 freeway. I think I sucked the headlights out of some poor chap's 3 series on the way up the Santa Susana pass. Just in case it was someone here, I did say "Sorry" out loud in the car, just, ahem, for the record. :hihi:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
very sexy

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thank you ,thank you, thank you for this post. Here in IL wheel shop qouted me 350$ per wheel plus 8 weeks to get my wheels rechromed in black chrome and these guys charge me only 250$ per wheel and only two weeks.

Thanks again man. Nice looking wheels.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay. I got in late yesterday. The car was filthy from my trip to the O.C., so I got up and and gave it a bath. Clay is next, but I grabbed some pics. Here are some shots in daylight. Man, these wheels really POP! :biggrinbounce:

Even though it's a darker finish, you can still see reflected colors (more muted, of course.) Pretty cool! I'm not sure that it totally translates to the pics, but the look is exactly what I wanted! It's not black, not anthracite, not grey powdercoat, not the OEM finish, which I don't really like either for Sterling Gray, and not as harsh as bright chrome. It's like the best of all of them rolled up into one. And, the coolest part is that it changes with the amount of available light, almost like a multichromatic paint. The Black/Silver carbon fiber roundels totally finish them off!

A big thanks to John and his crew at Cal Chrome for listening to exactly what I wanted, and translating that to the wheels. :applause:

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It's just called "Black Chrome". In talking to the owner of Cal Chrome, John, I got the impression that they haven't done many M5 wheels, and I don't think they get too many takers for the Black Chrome. He mentioned that some people gave him feedback that it looks like the wheel is "dirty." To each his own. John also mentioned to me that the bulk of their business is Chroming OEM wheels for clients, and car dealers in Southern California. I guess it's the SoCal culture of "bling, bling, and more bling." I think it's a much more sophisticated look than just chrome, and I like the fact that the wheel is more protected, and harder to scratch, due to the powder coat.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Well, it's already been four weeks since Calchrome recieved my wheels. Called them yesterday, it's only going to be ready by the end of next week:mad:

·
Registered
571 Posts
The wheels look great. I'm still not a big fan of chroming the wheels because I've seen lots of them go bad after 2 or 3 years. What happens is they develop tiny cracks in the chrome which leads to air leakage. That and the fact you can't really fix curb rash and have it look like the rest of the wheel. However, properly preped and chromed wheels will last at least 5-7 years. Again, looks like the guy did a real nice job!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Well, it's already been four weeks since Calchrome recieved my wheels. Called them yesterday, it's only going to be ready by the end of next week:mad:
Another week past and guess what??? It's only going to be done by the end of NEXT week. :mad:

If I only knew that is going to take so long I would never ever do that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts