BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered some HRE's 20x9 front and 20x10.5 rear. Wondering why more people are not running 275/30/20 front and 305/25/20 rear? Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Geoff

·
Registered
789 Posts
gscotts - not everyone pushes the extremes of offsets to use a tire of that size. A lot of 20" upgrades use the standard 255/35/20 and 275/30/20 due to its easy availability and cost. The sizes you are mentioning requires offsets that most aftermarket wheels don't make unless custom ordered. A 25 profile rear tire is very thin and its not for everyone.

If you can run those sizes without having to roll the fenders or add more negative camber to make them tuck then go for it :) Please show pics when you are done.

The 21's looks great too but I think the odd size makes them not as popular to most.

The stock wheels for the M5 is quite liked by many so they stick with that. The stock setup with spacers and springs looks aggressive and provides the performance and handling that many want to achieve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I appreciate the replies. I have dinan stage one suspension. Was told by hre it would be no problem. Just curious as to why more people dont have the sizes i mentioned. I had my stock wheels refinished in gunmetal and have snows on them. (set is dedicated to winter duty), I want to maximize width for the summer setup.

I will post pics when they come and are mounted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.431 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

ideliver said:
that is what I run...
Ideliver, what suspension are you running? Did you have to modify fenders or grind anything? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I am stock. However, lowering springs will not affect whether or not you rub. The amount of suspension travel is not affected by the shorter springs. It only lowers the ride height.

That being said, rubbing is affected by your rim offset and tire diameter. The tire size that you want to run will not rub unless your offset is too aggressive.

I am running a set of RACs (search my user name for pics) and these are an aggressive offset and all is good. BTW 305/30/20 rub so don't even bother.

Also, the fender is already "rolled" and the only modification to be done is to the fastener that attaches the bumper.

I did not do anything to my fenders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts