BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
All of the issues with the SMG have been well documented here and it's different than the earlier days where the only option was full replacement by the dealership.

Jim at FAMS also offers a rebuild service for a critical part as well.

The transmission is just as robust as the 6spd manual. So are all the"normal" manual components such as the clutch, fw, bearings, and cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
190 Posts
For the OP, you should look at the price spreads between SMGs and Manuals, it may be harder to do so with M6s since they are more thinly traded, but you can use the M5 as an examples. When I had last looked at this 2 years ago in buying my 1st M5, it seems that a manual commands a 4-6k premium as compared to a SMG, of course with similar miles, same model year, similar condition. Incidentally that pretty much lines up with the increased costs you will have to deal with when you replace the clutch and flywheel along with other the other hydraulic controls that you have to deal with. In other words, the market has figured it out. As a buyer, you need to know this to negotiate the price correctly. An earlier poster talked about that quite a bit. If you have to have someone else do it all for you and things fail at different points in time, it's likely that you will spend more than 5k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Currently I don't know of a experienced independent shop that knows the V10 and SMG gearboxes. So I'd be forced into using the one and only BMW dealership in the region. That's a little unnerving when the dealership might be in a replace everything in order to clear a single item issue.

Guys thank you so much for all of your comments. I'm thinking long and hard on a direction to go or not go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you buy the convertible for $26.9k? Someone did! I've pretty much convinced myself at this point to go in another direction. One German headache on my hands is probably enough... Unless, of course, I buy a nice SMG in Interlagos Blue or IR for the wife... Hmm... :whistle:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you are talking about the one in New York, I did not. I'm probably going to look for a '09 or '10 in coupe version. I just haven't decided if it is a good move or not. I was almost going to get a '09 SMG convertible in Florida, it was a one owner 33k mile car, but the woman owner ran over a cement curb and took out all of the undercarriage cladding. Then she also had a front bumper repair, which was not described or what the conditions of the repair were. It sold for $21k to a guy in Ohio. Blue with white/grey interior. Good looking car. I've found a '10 SMG convertible with 51k miles for $17,500, but the seller is balking. He won't let me take the car to the local dealership for a PPI. That raises red flags to me. So he's not sure what he wants to do. He also hasn't registered the car since he purchased it 3 or 4 months ago. So the title and sales contract he has is a little fuzzy. Another red flag. Nothing is easy these days. Then factor in the stock market drop over China, isn't helping matters.

·
Registered
190 Posts
With the '10, since he hasn't registered it, it's not insured so it's not legal to drive it on the road and got to a dealership. I'm sure he has it titled in his name, but the moment you register it you have to pay the sales tax/reg fee.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This guy is rather flaky. He took a deposit on the car and then the gentleman decided not to buy it. So the guy kept the deposit. Which I suppose is legal, but since I was prepared to buy the car for the same price, I would return the guys deposit. Since then I've found out the dealer he bought the car from is a "friend" on the other side of the country. The car is still titled with the dealership. So whoever buys the car from this guy, he would have to get a new sales contract with the dealer and then take the new paperwork to the DMV. It seems a little shady to me. So the guy really doesn't have clean or clear title to the car. I'm not privy to the terms of the sales contract. It could have a lien on the car and I wouldn't know about it. The thing that bothers me most is he won't let me take it to a shop or dealer to check the car out. He doesn't want to put any more miles on the car. So I'm going to pass on the car for now or at least until the title issues are straightened out. I've seen copies of the title paperwork and the dealer assignment page is full. So no more dealer pass through without the next party registering the car. I originally was told he had title and the car would be a private party sale, which means no sales tax in my state of Nevada. Dealer sales are taxed. 7.6% adds up. That amount would cover half the cost of rod bearing replacement.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts