BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed new pads and rotors and now have a chirping noise. Noise goes away completely when I apply the brakes. Centric rotors and Wagner thermo quiet ceramic pads. I did try swapping back to the old rotors and different thermo quiet pads. Get the same noise.

Noise is coming from both driver and passenger front wheel area.

Any ideas? Was thinking wheel bearings but too coincidental that they both start making noise after replacing brake pads/rotors.

I do have 12mm spacers up front with extended bolts, but had those installed for a few months prior to brake job without issue.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In doing some further Internet research, I have read where hard spots in the pads have been suggested to cause this sort of noise. Any plausibility to that?

One other tidbit to add... After installing the new ceramic pads last night, I went for a drive and performed the pad bedding procedure. No noise before, during or after bedding the pads in. This morning as I pull up to work I put my window down and heard the chirping.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It sounds like the chirp is happening every wheel rotation. Jack up a wheel and rotate it by hand. Try to pinpoint the chirp, I would look around the caliper if/when you hear the chirp. It could be anything, are the rotors on the correct sides of the car?, etc.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried spinning the wheel, but can't get it spinning fast enough to cause the chirp. It starts around 20mph.

When spinning by hand, I do hear a slight scraping sound, like pad on rotor that comes and goes as if the rotor is warped. Brand new rotors though, so I would expect them to be true.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That scraping sound might be your chirp at higher speeds. Rotors might be slightly out of true notwithstanding their newness. Do you have a brake runout dial?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
One of my cars has some low dust pads on it when I got it. I noticed they make a squeak on initial application. Maybe try the old (OEM?) pads back in it?

But that really sounds like something out of true that is rubbing/catching? Can you pull off the wheel and spin the discs? Even if a little out of true you can usually see it while it's rotating. Lightly touching the disc surface while spinning it by hand you may feel it something is out of true?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Took everything apart once again. Installed new clips on each side thinking the 14 year old ones were weak. No change in the noise.

Only thing that hasn't been replaced at this point are the calipers. I also need to check the run-out of the rotors even though they are new.

Going to take it to a brake shop and see if they can figure it out. I will update this thread once I get it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So last night I took it down to the wheel hub and cleaned everything with a wire brush.

I did notice that there were a couple spots on the caliper, where the pads sit, that appeared to be shiny indicating that the pad was rubbing in one spot. I cleaned the calipers where the pads contact and added some caliper grease.

Not sure what actually fixed the noise, or if it was a combination of all things, but I am happy to report that the chirping noise is gone completely! I really don't think the rotor was sitting perfectly flush with the wheel hub.

On another note, I think I need to replace front wheel bearings/hubs. Will be doing those soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtadfqKQfo4\

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I have a squeak that got worse this past week. It does not sound the same as yours, since yours seems to be squeaking at a regular frequency based on the revolutions of the wheel. Mine is more of a vibrating squeak that is not dependent on the wheel revolutions but seems more pronounced with suspension vibrations. Cant really tell since I would have to be running next to the car at 20mph when it really seems pronounced. It seemed to get worse after I dismounted the front wheels and re-installed them, so I will take them off again and clean to see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So last night I took it down to the wheel hub and cleaned everything with a wire brush.

I did notice that there were a couple spots on the caliper, where the pads sit, that appeared to be shiny indicating that the pad was rubbing in one spot. I cleaned the calipers where the pads contact and added some caliper grease.

Not sure what actually fixed the noise, or if it was a combination of all things, but I am happy to report that the chirping noise is gone completely! I really don't think the rotor was sitting perfectly flush with the wheel hub.

On another note, I think I need to replace front wheel bearings/hubs. Will be doing those soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtadfqKQfo4\
Do you have any updates?? Are you still noise free? I ask because I had the SAME exact noise so I did the same thing, took it down to the hub, cleaned everything up and added plenty of lube to the backing plates... the noise went away for about two months, and now it's back! I don't know what to do but it is driving me absolutely nuts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does it sound like a canary?
I applied anti squeal compound to all the contacting brake parts (not the friction surfaces :) )and it went away

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's speed dependent and it sounds like "tweet...tweet...tweet...tweet"

It gets a bit louder in turns and goes away when I brake. It's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, canary, tweet. Same thing.

It's just minute frictional rubbing of the brake caliper, spring and pads. Use anti squeal on all the contacting surfaces (but be careful to avoid the brake rotors!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts