BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and didn't find any info on the two together. I have light weight flywheel and I would like to raise my idle to help with the gear rattle. Also my CEL is on for the secondary air pump code and I would like to use powerchip to take care of that, but is there any chip that would do both raise the idle and take care of the CEL or would powerchip take care of it? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well let me ask this question since no one could help me with the first. Is there anyway to raise the idle with out a chip, maybe a dealer reprogram. Then I could just buy the powerchip and be done with it.

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
I have searched and didn't find any info on the two together. I have light weight flywheel and I would like to raise my idle to help with the gear rattle. Also my CEL is on for the secondary air pump code and I would like to use powerchip to take care of that, but is there any chip that would do both raise the idle and take care of the CEL or would powerchip take care of it? Thanks guys.
Many tuners can raise the idle speed, it is not a big deal.

Not sure who but Powerchip can handle the CEL for the secondary air pump, they have programmed the ECU to ignore the error code. You might check with other will known tuners, such as Dinan, Active Autowerk and Conforti to see if they have developed a workaround.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many tuners can raise the idle speed, it is not a big deal.

Not sure who but Powerchip can handle the CEL for the secondary air pump, they have programmed the ECU to ignore the error code. You might check with other will known tuners, such as Dinan, Active Autowerk and Conforti to see if they have developed a workaround.

Regards,
Jerry
So, I would have to find someone who tunes bmw's to raise the idle. Can the dealership do it?

I have an aftermarket (hondata) ecu on my honda and it lets me change everything. Is there something that I could buy for my M5 to do the same? Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
There is nothing like Hondata for an M5. The M5 uses a ECM made specificaly for the S62 engine that powers it. It's the Siemens MSS52. It can be tuned but only by people smart enough to have been able to get into it. You can't use normal means of OBD-II connections to gain access to the program data. So far only Powerchip is the only aftermarket tuner that will write custom programs for the M5. Shark and Dinan just replace certain parameters in the program.

FYI don't waste your money on any of the "programs" that claim you can read and write to an M5 ECM. They can't, I've tried. Also I don't really suggest you try to tune your M5, unless you have $10k for a new engine. These aren't Hondas'. You can't rebuild these engine for $500 or find a longblock for $1k. However last I heard that some company in Florida is working on putting out a AEM EMS for our M5's.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is nothing like Hondata for an M5. The M5 uses a ECM made specificaly for the S62 engine that powers it. It's the Siemens MSS52. It can be tuned but only by people smart enough to have been able to get into it. You can't use normal means of OBD-II connections to gain access to the program data. So far only Powerchip is the only aftermarket tuner that will write custom programs for the M5. Shark and Dinan just replace certain parameters in the program.

FYI don't waste your money on any of the "programs" that claim you can read and write to an M5 ECM. They can't, I've tried. Also I don't really suggest you try to tune your M5, unless you have $10k for a new engine. These aren't Hondas'. You can't rebuild these engine for $500 or find a longblock for $1k. However last I heard that some company in Florida is working on putting out a AEM EMS for our M5's.
Oh, I see what you mean. So how would I raise the idle? BTW AEM is pretty good stuff. I used to have that on my honda. I hope they make it work for bmw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts